Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matthew Hurd <ma...@finray.net> on 2004/03/03 08:55:39 UTC

newbie - hot backup

Been running subversion at home for a while.

Introduced it at work today.  So far so good.  Thanks guys.

One question, I want to do a full hot backup.

I tried the hot backup python script but it failed.  Svnadmin hotcopy source
dest seems to work fine, though only the .py is mentioned in the help.

Is svnadmin hotcopy the most appropriate way?

Cheers,

Matt.

Re: newbie - hot backup

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Matthew Hurd" <ma...@finray.net> writes:
> Been running subversion at home for a while.
> Introduced it at work today.  So far so good.  Thanks guys.

You're welcome!

> One question, I want to do a full hot backup.
>
> I tried the hot backup python script but it failed.  Svnadmin hotcopy source
> dest seems to work fine, though only the .py is mentioned in the help.
>
> Is svnadmin hotcopy the most appropriate way?

It helps if you report the symptoms -- the error messages, the
unexpected results, etc.

I think this bug might be fixed in more recent Subversions.  Were you
running on an ext3 filesystem?

Re: newbie - hot backup

Posted by Tom Mornini <tm...@infomania.com>.
I second this question!

Been wondering the same thing myself.

The docs state that svnadmin hotcopy does just that, but then I've seen
other mentions of the python script.

What gives?

--
-- Tom Mornini

Re: newbie - hot backup

Posted by Brian Mathis <bm...@directedge.com>.
Matthew Hurd wrote:

> Been running subversion at home for a while.
>

> Introduced it at work today.  So far so good.  Thanks guys.
>

> One question, I want to do a full hot backup.
>

> I tried the hot backup python script but it failed.  Svnadmin hotcopy
> source dest seems to work fine, though only the .py is mentioned in
> the help.
>

> Is svnadmin hotcopy the most appropriate way?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Matt.

Try running
    /usr/bin/svnlook youngest /path/to/repos

If you get an error, there's probably a permissions problem on your
repos.  The hotbackup.py script is bad in that it doesn't report that
there was an error running svnlook.

--
Brian Mathis
http://directedge.com/b/

update syntax

Posted by Frans Thamura <ja...@intercitra.com>.
Hi,

anyone know to upgrade the svn repo ?

i try svnadmin recover, there is no progress

Frans Thamura <fr...@intercitra.com>
Chief Technology Officer
Intercitra Innovation Center
We help you manage and control
http://www.intercitra.com

HP: +62 - 855 - 7888 - 699
Address:
Cempaka Putih Tengah II Blok C No. 21
Jakarta Utara - Indonesia

Telp: +62 21 4260933

Yahoo: fthamura
Jabber: fthamura@jabber.org

MCP ID: 1285331 (Microsoft Certified Professional ID)

Welcome to Emotional Transformation Century.

Bergabunglah dengan 3 juta Programmer Java diseluruh dunia dengan
berbergabung ke JUG Indonesia.

Untuk subscribe email aja ke jug-indonesia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
atau kunjungi http://www.jug.or.id