Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ga...@amsec.com on 2005/09/26 13:34:07 UTC

MS ACCESS databases

Do you have any documentation on how to control the versioning of Microsoft
Access databases, including queries, forms, reports and  data?  From what I
am being told, Subversion doesn't play well with Microsoft Access.
Thanks
Gary

Re: MS ACCESS databases

Posted by Brass Tilde <br...@insightbb.com>.
> Do you have any documentation on how to control the versioning of
Microsoft
> Access databases, including queries, forms, reports and  data?  From
what I
> am being told, Subversion doesn't play well with Microsoft Access.

What exactly are you wanting to do?  If you want to simply store the
entire Access database in a Subversion repository, you could certainly
do that.  It would be a binary file, of course, with all that implies
with regard to the lack of mergeability and such.

On the other hand, if you were to store the scripts and/or DDL used to
*create* the database, which are generally text, it would be just like
any other set of source files.

Re: MS ACCESS databases

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    gary> Do you have any documentation on how to control the
    gary> versioning of Microsoft Access databases, including queries,
    gary> forms, reports and data?

I doubt that Access is any different, with regard to Subversion, than
any other application whose data format is binary (and proprietary).

I can see two ways of dealing with such files:

* Make sure Subversion marks them as binary (it probably already
  does), and use a recent version of Subversion so that you can "lock"
  the files.  That way nobody will waste time editing one only to find
  that somebody else has made a conflicting edit; or

* Find some way to export all the file's information into a text
  format, and put that text into Subversion instead of the file
  itself.  Presumably that text will be pleasant to edit and merge.

--
I've laid out in my will that my heirs should continue working
on my .emacs