Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Forrest <th...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/01 20:34:57 UTC

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.4.1 available (bug)

Upgrading from a simple 3.4.0 installation, 3.4.1 refuses to start, with
this error:

Starting spamd: child process [3723] exited or timed out without signaling production of a PID file: exit 255 at /usr/local/perl/bin/spamd line 2986.
                                                            [FAILED]

I've seen this before, but I did check for any leftover PID files (none
exist).  I also rebooted our system, to no avail.    Going to attempt
downgrading to see if that fixes the bug.

_F

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.4.1 available (bug)

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 01.05.2015 um 20:34 schrieb Forrest:
> Upgrading from a simple 3.4.0 installation, 3.4.1 refuses to start, with
> this error:
>
> Starting spamd: child process [3723] exited or timed out without signaling production of a PID file: exit 255 at /usr/local/perl/bin/spamd line 2986.
>                                                             [FAILED]
>
> I've seen this before, but I did check for any leftover PID files (none
> exist).  I also rebooted our system, to no avail.    Going to attempt
> downgrading to see if that fixes the bug

thank you for the information - but i say: no, it starts
Fedora 21: perl-5.18.4 / spamassassin-3.4.1-1.fc21.x86_64

in other words: you don't provide any information about your environment

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.4.1 available (bug)

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
Did you run sa-update or install rules manually?  99% sure that is the issue.
Regards,
KAM

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
On 2015-05-01 20:34, Forrest wrote:
> Upgrading from a simple 3.4.0 installation, 3.4.1 refuses to start, with
> this error:
>
> Starting spamd: child process [3723] exited or timed out without signaling
>   production of a PID file:
>   exit 255 at /usr/local/perl/bin/spamd line 2986.
>
> I've seen this before, but I did check for any leftover PID files (none
> exist).  I also rebooted our system, to no avail.    Going to attempt
> downgrading to see if that fixes the bug.

spamd --debug

   Mark

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.4.1 available (bug)

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 1 May 2015, at 14:34, Forrest wrote:

> Upgrading from a simple 3.4.0 installation, 3.4.1 refuses to start,
> with this error:
>
> Starting spamd: child process [3723] exited or timed out without
> signaling production of a PID file: exit 255 at
> /usr/local/perl/bin/spamd line 2986.
>                                                         [FAILED]
>
> I've seen this before, but I did check for any leftover PID files
> (none exist).  I also rebooted our system, to no avail.    Going to
> attempt downgrading to see if that fixes the bug.

That's precisely what I saw after upgrading to 3.4.1 until I ran
sa-update for he first time. The base rules are in a new directory for
each version.