Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Tim Potter <te...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2014/01/24 15:47:21 UTC

No space left on device during merge.

Hi,
   I'm getting the below error while trying to sort a lot of data with Hadoop.

I strongly suspect the node the merge is on is running out of local disk space. Assuming this is the case, is there any way
to get around this limitation considering I can't increase the local disk space available on the nodes?  Like specify sort/merge parameters or similar.

Thanks,
   Tim.

2014-01-24 10:02:36,267 INFO [main] org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.CodecPool: Got brand-new decompressor [.lzo_deflate]
2014-01-24 10:02:36,280 INFO [main] org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Merger: Down to the last merge-pass, with 100 segments left of total size: 642610678884 bytes
2014-01-24 10:02:36,281 ERROR [main] org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation: PriviledgedActionException as:XXXXXX (auth:XXXXXX) cause:org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.task.reduce.Shuffle$ShuffleError: error in shuffle in OnDiskMerger - Thread to merge on-disk map-outputs
2014-01-24 10:02:36,282 WARN [main] org.apache.hadoop.mapred.YarnChild: Exception running child : org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.task.reduce.Shuffle$ShuffleError: error in shuffle in OnDiskMerger - Thread to merge on-disk map-outputs
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.task.reduce.Shuffle.run(Shuffle.java:167)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.ReduceTask.run(ReduceTask.java:371)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.YarnChild$2.run(YarnChild.java:158)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1284)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.YarnChild.main(YarnChild.java:153)
Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSError: java.io.IOException: No space left on device
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem$LocalFSFileOutputStream.write(RawLocalFileSystem.java:213)
	at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:82)
	at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.write(BufferedOutputStream.java:126)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSDataOutputStream$PositionCache.write(FSDataOutputStream.java:54)
	at java.io.DataOutputStream.write(DataOutputStream.java:107)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.IFileOutputStream.write(IFileOutputStream.java:88)
	at org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.BlockCompressorStream.compress(BlockCompressorStream.java:150)
	at org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.BlockCompressorStream.finish(BlockCompressorStream.java:140)
	at org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.BlockCompressorStream.write(BlockCompressorStream.java:99)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSDataOutputStream$PositionCache.write(FSDataOutputStream.java:54)
	at java.io.DataOutputStream.write(DataOutputStream.java:107)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.IFile$Writer.append(IFile.java:249)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Merger.writeFile(Merger.java:200)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.task.reduce.MergeManager$OnDiskMerger.merge(MergeManager.java:572)
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.task.reduce.MergeThread.run(MergeThread.java:94)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: No space left on device
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.writeBytes(Native Method)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.write(FileOutputStream.java:318)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem$LocalFSFileOutputStream.write(RawLocalFileSystem.java:211)
	... 14 more

2014-01-24 10:02:36,284 INFO [main] org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Task: Runnning cleanup for the task

Re: No space left on device during merge.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes sampling is a great way to do. That's what is done with the Terasort example. See the code for org.apache.hadoop.examples.terasort.TeraSort and specifically org.apache.hadoop.examples.terasort.TeraInputFormat.

The other simpler option to start with is some kind of brute force partitioning. Something like lexicographical partitioning of URLs. It won't give you a great balance to begin with, but it should get you started.

+Vinod

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: No space left on device during merge.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Tim Potter <te...@yahoo-inc.com>.