Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Danny Schimke <sc...@googlemail.com> on 2009/07/03 11:32:49 UTC

Re: Creating RPM package under Windows XP

Hello!

We tried using cygwin, but this was a pain. We had to install many other
packages beside the rpmpackage, which are not delivered with cygwin by
default, to get it to work. The aim is, to make it possible for a developer
to create a RPM package without these difficult steps. We have agreed to
build the RPM package on a unix system and using profiles do differ the
operating system for building the package only under unix.

I tried to build the RPM using the following POM:

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>com.incowia.rpmexample</groupId>
  <artifactId>RpmProject</artifactId>
  <packaging>jar</packaging>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <name>RpmProject</name>
  <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>3.8.1</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
  <profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>linux</id>
      <activation>
        <os>
          <family>unix</family>
        </os>
      </activation>
      <build>
        <plugins>
          <plugin>
            <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
            <artifactId>rpm-maven-plugin</artifactId>
            <version>2.0-beta-2</version>
            <executions>
              <execution>
                <goals>
                  <goal>attached-rpm</goal>
                </goals>
              </execution>
            </executions>
            <configuration>
              <group>com.incowia.rpmexample</group>
              <mappings>
                <mapping>
                  <directory>/temp</directory>
                </mapping>
              </mappings>
              <name>myrpmexampleRPM</name>
            </configuration>
          </plugin>
        </plugins>
      </build>
    </profile>
  </profiles>
</project>

[INFO] [jar:jar]
[INFO] [rpm:attached-rpm {execution: default}]
[WARNING] Version string truncated to 1.0
[INFO] Creating spec file
/home/incowia/projects/RpmProject/target/rpm/SPECS/myrpmexampleRPM.spec
[WARNING] error: License field must be present in package: (main package)
[INFO] Building target platforms: noarch
[INFO] Building for target noarch
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] *RPM build execution returned: '1' executing '/bin/sh -c cd
/home/incowia/projects/RpmProject/target/rpm/SPECS && rpmbuild -bb
--buildroot /home/incowia/projects/RpmProject/target/rpm/buildroot --define
'_topdir /home/incowia/projects/RpmProject/target/rpm' --target noarch
myrpmexampleRPM.spec'*

The following Filesstructure is created under "RpmProject/target/rpm":

BUILD (empty)
+ buildroot
    temp (empty)
RPMS (empty)
SOURCES (empty)
+ SPECS
   *myrpmexampleRPM.spec*
SRPMS (empty)

The *myrpmexampleRPM.spec *file contains the following:

Name: myrpmexampleRPM
Version: 1.0
Release: SNAPSHOT20090703092244
Group: com.incowia.rpmexample
BuildRoot: /home/incowia/projects/RpmProject/target/rpm/buildroot
%description
%files
%dir  /temp

Maybe I forgot a important POM- configuration or anything else!?

Thank you very much!

-Danny Schimke

2009/6/22 Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>

> Thanks. This seems to be exactly what the rpm-maven-plugin does. I was
> just a little confused that there seems to be 2 plugins. I suspect that
> the maven-rpm-plugin is the core mavenization of the rpm-maven-plugin,
> although the move to the core plugins seems to have been left in a
> somewhat unfinished state as I don't see any site documentation for the
> maven-rpm-plugin. Because of this lack of documentation, we went with
> the codehaus version.
>
> If you could provide any other clarity as to any differences betweenn
> the two plugins, other than the one I stated above, that would be very
> much appreciated.
>
> And I'll pass on the invite to build rpmbuild from source ;-). Cygwin
> definately has it available.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ---
> Todd Thiessen
>
> > //rpm:rpm calls the rpmbuild to package the rpm here is an example
> >
> > $ mvn -e rpm:rpm
> > [INFO] RPM build execution returned: '1' executing 'cmd.exe
> > /X /C "rpmbuild -bb --buildroot
> > $MAVEN_BUILD\maven-plugins\sample\target\rpm\buildroot --define "
> > _topdir f:\maven-plugin\maven-plugins\sample\target\rpm"
> > --target noarch landfil l.spec"'
> >
> > if you feel brave enough to tackle building rpmbuild for your
> > rpmbuild there are some sources avail here
> > http://www.mhonarc.org/release/MHonArc/snapshot/
> > dev.mk is the makefile you want to start with
> >
> > i have'nt seen any cygwin specific rpmbuild implementations
> > but you can ping the folks at cygwin http://cygwin.com
> >
> > Let us know,
> > Martin

Danny Schimke
IT- Consultant

incowia GmbH

Albert-Einstein-Straße 3
D-98693 Ilmenau
www.incowia.com

Re: Creating RPM package under Windows XP

Posted by Danny Schimke <sc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Stevo!

Thank you very much for answering my questions, that was very herlpful!! Our
administrator found out, which packages must
be installed. I will force him to tell me, which packages must be installed
to get it to work. I'll post it here... there is no blog yet.

-Danny Schimke

--
Danny Schimke
IT- Consultant

incowia GmbH

Albert-Einstein-Straße 3
D-98693 Ilmenau
www.incowia.com

Re: Creating RPM package under Windows XP

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Danny Schimke <sc...@googlemail.com>.

--
Danny Schimke