Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Randall Whitsitt <ra...@outlook.com> on 2015/04/23 21:23:01 UTC

HELP WITH CALC

Just spent two hours on site and forums only to be convinced your web designer should be fired.

I AM ON OLD MAN who got this way with “SuperCalc” and “Excel”.   Why don’t the formulas that have been used for the past 30 years work with OpenOffice Calc?

Your Lessons and tutorials are both poorly laid out and TOTALLY INADEQUATE to answer specific questions.

I want to transfer data from a cell on one page into a cell on another.

Please send me a list of valid formulas for OpenOffice Calc.

Sent from Windows Mail

Re: HELP WITH CALC

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
On 4/23/2015 5:06 PM, Dave Barton wrote:
> Don Daugherty wrote:
>> On 4/23/2015 2:23 PM, Randall Whitsitt wrote:
>> I'm a young man of 79, but I'll try to answer at least one of your
>> questions.
> Another Kid! ;)
> 8<-- snip -->8
>> If the data is is in cell A3 of Page X and you want an automatic copy of
>> it in cell D19 of Page R, I'd go to Page R, cell D19 and type = X:A3.
> Hi Don,
>
> Maybe I am misreading your suggestion (not forwarded to Randall), but if
> R is say Sheet2 and I enter =Sheet2:A3 (instead of =Sheet2.A3) I get
> "#NAME?" in Sheet2 B19.
>
> Using Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
> AOO411 m6(Build:9775) - Rev. 1617669
> 2014-08-13 09:06:54 (Mi. 13 Aug 2014)
>
> Regards
> Dave

Dave,
mea culpa!  Of course the correct syntax is Sheet2.A3, not Sheet2:A3 !
Don

---

Re: HELP WITH CALC

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.

Re: HELP WITH CALC

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
On 4/23/2015 2:23 PM, Randall Whitsitt wrote:
I'm a young man of 79, but I'll try to answer at least one of your
questions.
> Just spent two hours on site and forums only to be convinced your web designer should be fired.
I didn't pay a penny for Open Office Calc, Writer, etc. so I haven't
figured out who's paying for the web design, lessons, tutorials, etc..

 > I AM ON OLD MAN who got this way with “SuperCalc” and “Excel”. Why
don’t the formulas that have been used for the past 30 years work with
 >OpenOffice Calc?

I don't know what formulas you've tried, but F1 takes you to Help where
you'll find lots of them.

Re: HELP WITH CALC

Posted by Henry Rappaport <he...@hento.ca>.
RETIREMENT

Now to unlearn
Habits of unhappiness
Practiced since
Way back when.
To loose them one by one
Until what remains
Is the other side
Of then.

From Loose to the World
  by Henry Rappaport
also of advanced years

Re: HELP WITH CALC

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

>> Just spent two hours on site and forums only to be convinced your web
>> designer should be fired.
>>

>> I AM ON OLD MAN who got this way with “SuperCalc” and “Excel”.   Why
>> don’t the formulas that have been used for the past 30 years work with
>> OpenOffice Calc?
>>

>> Your Lessons and tutorials are both poorly laid out and TOTALLY
>> INADEQUATE to answer specific questions.
>>

>> I want to transfer data from a cell on one page into a cell on another.
>>

> Just like with Excel and other spreadsheet applications, if I understand
> your question correctly, you don't transfer cell data to other cells; it's
> the other way around. It's cell x that throw a value to cell y, it's cell y
> that looks in cell x for a value and then display it.

I was typing too fast there…
It's NOT cell x that throw a value to cell y, it's cell y that looks in
cell x for a value and then display it.

”Not” can be an important word sometimes…

Sorry for confusing.

Re: HELP WITH CALC

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: HELP WITH CALC

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.
Hi Randall,

From one old man to another. My responses are given in-line with your
Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
> On Apr 23, 2015, at 2:23 PM, Randall Whitsitt <ra...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Please send me a list of valid formulas for OpenOffice Calc.

Just hit the button in the tool bar that's marked "f(x)". You'll get all of them, along with a wizard that explains the parameters one at a time and helps you build the formula.