Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com> on 2011/11/06 04:15:12 UTC

[lucy-dev] RM feedback

In general wearing the RM hat has been painless, thanks to the
release_commands.pl tool. Thanks for that, Marvin.

Some things I had to hunt around for during the actual release process follow.

* this step from the release_commands.pl output is wrong:

# Update the issue tracker.
# While logged into JIRA, visit the following web page. (Note: this
# way or the other.)  Click the "release" link for 0.2.2 and
# input the date from the CHANGES file.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/project/ManageVersions.jspa?pid=12310501

I am "letting the dev list know" in this email.

I ended up finding the right place to update the release version by going to:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/project
and clicking around.

* updating the i.a.o/lucy/download.html page took some hunting. I never found a
clear one-page summary of how to do it. What I did was:

 * svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucy/site
 * edit site/trunk/content/lucy/download.mdtext
 * svn commit download.mdtext
 * wait for buildbot email to indicate staging was updated
 * svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/lucy prod-site
 * svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/staging/lucy stage-site
 * cp stage-site/trunk/content/lucy/download.html prod-site/content/lucy
 * svn commit prod-site/content/lucy/download.html

Hope that helps the next person.

Re: [lucy-dev] RM feedback

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 09:08:56AM -0800, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : * this step from the release_commands.pl output is wrong:
> : https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/project/ManageVersions.jspa?pid=12310501
>
> a) The URL has changed in recent versions of Jira, i believe the current
> URL is..
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/LUCY/versions
>
> ...that's likely to stay consistent for a while (i think the whole reason
> it changed was to start being more consistent)
>
> b) managing versions requires extra jira perms that every
> contributor/commiter may not have (especially as Lucy grows) -- probably
> best to updated the RM script to indicate that they may need to ask for
> help on this.

Thank to Peter for the report and to Hoss for the solution.  I have updated
release_commands.pl per Hoss's suggestions.

> : * updating the i.a.o/lucy/download.html page took some hunting. I never found a
> : clear one-page summary of how to do it. What I did was:
>
> ...the steps you describe look correct for when you want to make major
> edits to the site, but for simple page editing (like: updating the version
> on the downloads page) the easiest way to do that is using the web based
> CMS editing screens which are easy to access via bookmarklet...
>
> 	https://cms.apache.org/#bookmark

This too.

> Would probably be a good idea to add an action item to create a short wiki
> page for Lucy devs similar to these...
>
> https://aries.apache.org/development/maintainingthewebpages.html
> https://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/docs/edit-cms.html

Haven't gotten to this yet.