Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Bart Verwilst <li...@verwilst.be> on 2012/11/23 14:12:54 UTC

Mapping MySQL schema to Avro

Hello!

I'm currently writing an importer to import our MySQL data into hadoop
( as Avro files ). Attached you can find the schema i'm converting to
Avro, along with the corresponding Avro schema i would like to use for
my imported data. I was wondering if you guys could go over the schema
and determine if this is sane/optimal, and if not, how i should improve
it.

As a sidenote, i converted bigints to long, and had 1 occurrence of
double, which i also converted to long in the avro, not sure if that's
the correct type?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions! ;)

Kind regards,

Bart

Re: Mapping MySQL schema to Avro

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Bart Verwilst <li...@verwilst.be> wrote:

> **
>
> ... I'm not sure that i understand your comment about repeating values in
> fmsswitchvalues, since they are different from the ones in fmssession?

I was just pointing out that there were fields in the fmssession record
that didn't appear in the Avro version.

Re: Mapping MySQL schema to Avro

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Bart Verwilst <li...@verwilst.be>.

Hi!

I will subscribe to the avro users mailinglist as well for
this, thanks!

I'm not sure that i understand your comment about
repeating values in fmsswitchvalues, since they are different from the
ones in fmssession?

Kind regards,

Bart

Ted Dunning schreef op
23.11.2012 23:20:

> This is probably the wrong list for your question.

> And, no, I don't think that your conversion is correct.

me it looks like you have lots of values in a fmsession. In the avro
version, those values appear to be repeated in the fmsswitchvalues. That
seems wrong.

Posted by Bart Verwilst <li...@verwilst.be>.

Posted by Bart Verwilst <li...@verwilst.be>.

Hey Ruslan,

I'm not using Sqoop because my avro exist of a couple
of subsets, which (afaik) are impossible to reproduce with a single
query and thus sqoop. Or am I wrong?

Kind regards,

Bart

Ruslan
Al-Fakikh schreef op 24.11.2012 01:06:

> Hey Bart,
>
> Why not using
Sqoop for trasforming data from/to hadoop to/from MySQL?

http://sqoop.apache.org/docs/1.4.2/SqoopUserGuide.html [1]
> see the
parameter: -as-avrodatafile

wrote:

>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I'm currently writing an importer to
import our MySQL data into hadoop ( as Avro files ). Attached you can
find the schema i'm converting to Avro, along with the corresponding
Avro schema i would like to use for my imported data. I was wondering if
you guys could go over the schema and determine if this is sane/optimal,
and if not, how i should improve it.

>>> As a sidenote, i converted
bigints to long, and had 1 occurrence of double, which i also converted
to long in the avro, not sure if that's the correct type?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions! ;)

>>> Kind
regards,

>>> Bart

Links:
------
[1]

Posted by Bart Verwilst <li...@verwilst.be>.

Hey Ruslan,

I'm not using Sqoop because my avro exist of a couple
of subsets, which (afaik) are impossible to reproduce with a single
query and thus sqoop. Or am I wrong?

Kind regards,

Bart

Ruslan
Al-Fakikh schreef op 24.11.2012 01:06:

> Hey Bart,
>
> Why not using
Sqoop for trasforming data from/to hadoop to/from MySQL?

http://sqoop.apache.org/docs/1.4.2/SqoopUserGuide.html [1]
> see the
parameter: -as-avrodatafile

wrote:

>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I'm currently writing an importer to
import our MySQL data into hadoop ( as Avro files ). Attached you can
find the schema i'm converting to Avro, along with the corresponding
Avro schema i would like to use for my imported data. I was wondering if
you guys could go over the schema and determine if this is sane/optimal,
and if not, how i should improve it.

>>> As a sidenote, i converted
bigints to long, and had 1 occurrence of double, which i also converted
to long in the avro, not sure if that's the correct type?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions! ;)

>>> Kind
regards,

>>> Bart

Links:
------
[1]

Posted by Bart Verwilst <li...@verwilst.be>.

Hey Ruslan,

I'm not using Sqoop because my avro exist of a couple
of subsets, which (afaik) are impossible to reproduce with a single
query and thus sqoop. Or am I wrong?

Kind regards,

Bart

Ruslan
Al-Fakikh schreef op 24.11.2012 01:06:

> Hey Bart,
>
> Why not using
Sqoop for trasforming data from/to hadoop to/from MySQL?

http://sqoop.apache.org/docs/1.4.2/SqoopUserGuide.html [1]
> see the
parameter: -as-avrodatafile

wrote:

>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I'm currently writing an importer to
import our MySQL data into hadoop ( as Avro files ). Attached you can
find the schema i'm converting to Avro, along with the corresponding
Avro schema i would like to use for my imported data. I was wondering if
you guys could go over the schema and determine if this is sane/optimal,
and if not, how i should improve it.

>>> As a sidenote, i converted
bigints to long, and had 1 occurrence of double, which i also converted
to long in the avro, not sure if that's the correct type?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions! ;)

>>> Kind
regards,

>>> Bart

Links:
------
[1]

Posted by Bart Verwilst <li...@verwilst.be>.

Hey Ruslan,

I'm not using Sqoop because my avro exist of a couple
of subsets, which (afaik) are impossible to reproduce with a single
query and thus sqoop. Or am I wrong?

Kind regards,

Bart

Ruslan
Al-Fakikh schreef op 24.11.2012 01:06:

> Hey Bart,
>
> Why not using
Sqoop for trasforming data from/to hadoop to/from MySQL?

http://sqoop.apache.org/docs/1.4.2/SqoopUserGuide.html [1]
> see the
parameter: -as-avrodatafile

wrote:

>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I'm currently writing an importer to
import our MySQL data into hadoop ( as Avro files ). Attached you can
find the schema i'm converting to Avro, along with the corresponding
Avro schema i would like to use for my imported data. I was wondering if
you guys could go over the schema and determine if this is sane/optimal,
and if not, how i should improve it.

>>> As a sidenote, i converted
bigints to long, and had 1 occurrence of double, which i also converted
to long in the avro, not sure if that's the correct type?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions! ;)

>>> Kind
regards,

>>> Bart

Links: