Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "G.Sarwar" <sa...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/27 03:43:25 UTC

Solr Code structure Documentation

Hi all,

I am new at SOLR and i would like to understand how its searching mechanism
is working. I know its using apache lucene as a backend but how the calls
are exactly working from Query page and which code/algorithm is being called
and how. I have sucessfully configured it and running it on my eclipse by
following the insturctions on this link.
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute

I have also looked into the appendix section (working with solr codebase) of
"SOLR in action" book and its almost the same as above link. Now i need to
know how exactly the code is working on the backend for searching and
getting the results back(front end to backend calls). I know that the solr
frontend is based on Angular JS, but i couldn't find any help/documentation
about how it's calling the Java backend for retrieving results back.

Any help in this regard would be great.

Many thanks,
Sarwar

Re: Solr Code structure Documentation

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Well, the source code is all there, if you need to know _exactly_. Run it
under Debug. Run it under paid IntelliJ with Chronos if you will be doing
it a lot.

Same with Admin to Solr, just open a developer console in the browser and
you have every web call documented just when you want them.

Also, javadoc has some documentation, e.g. on lucene file formats. They are
part of the distribution or you can use disposable version on my
solr-start.com site.

Regards,
    Alex