Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Chaoran Yu <yu...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/28 05:04:25 UTC

Hive broken master branch?

Hello Hive Devs,

  I posted my email below in the users mailing list but realized I should
probably send it here.

   I made some changes to a local Hive repo based on the latest master
branch. But somehow I got the following error when running a "CREATE TABLE"
statement in Hive shell:

org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException:
MetaException(message:Insert of object
"org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.model.MSerDeInfo@ace2408" using statement
"INSERT INTO SERDES
(SERDE_ID,DESCRIPTION,DESERIALIZER_CLASS,"NAME",SERDE_TYPE,SLIB,SERIALIZER_CLASS)
VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?)" failed : 'DESCRIPTION' is not a column in table or
VTI 'APP.SERDES'.)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. MetaException(message:Insert of
object "org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.model.MSerDeInfo@ace2408" using
statement "INSERT INTO SERDES
(SERDE_ID,DESCRIPTION,DESERIALIZER_CLASS,"NAME",SERDE_TYPE,SLIB,SERIALIZER_CLASS)
VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?)" failed : 'DESCRIPTION' is not a column in table or
VTI 'APP.SERDES'.)

No matter what table name or schema I create, I got the same error. I
remember testing my changes about three weeks ago using the master branch
back then, everything was working. It only started failing today after I
merged the latest commits in master. Looking at the Travis CI build
history, the build for master started failing since about 21 days ago.

Is anyone aware of recent commits that might break this write code path?
And do we know when the next release of Hive is coming out?

Thank you,
Chaoran Yu

Re: Hive broken master branch?

Posted by Chaoran Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Ok I found out why. My branch doesn’t really have the latest updates from the master. Mine was only up to date until two weeks ago.

Looks like this is the commit that fixed the bug: https://github.com/apache/hive/commit/e6daf43f0c41ff91014ae9769ba8ad8cab4e5920 <https://github.com/apache/hive/commit/e6daf43f0c41ff91014ae9769ba8ad8cab4e5920>

Merging the latest commits and rebuilding Hive fixed the problem for me.

Posted by Chaoran Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vihang Karajgaonkar <vi...@cloudera.com>.