Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Viktor Frank <vi...@web.de> on 2005/09/13 08:09:18 UTC

Are projects, which I manage whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz?

Hello altogether,

we use for our development subversion / tortoise and are very satisfy. But we have one question? Are projects, which we manage whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz too?

Thanks

Viktor

Re: Are projects, which I manage whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz?

Posted by Ryan Ernst <re...@warflame.ca>.
Romain Prévost wrote:
> AKAIK, Subversion's license is not even GPL. It's an Apache/BSD as
> said on the homepage, but I don't know if it allows reuse of the code
> for commercial purpose, like the original BSD.
>
> Generally speaking, I don't even know a license which restricts you
> from using the datas you generate with any application the way you
> want, as long as those datas are truly yours.

There are provisions in the MS Visual Studio license agreement which
prevent you from using it to develop, among other things, a
wordprocessor or spreadsheet program.

--
Ryan Ernst

Photos: http://warflame.ca/gallery
Blog  : http://shadowlife.warflame.ca
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't."
    - Shakespeare, Macbeth

Re: Are projects, which I manage whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz?

Posted by Nix <ni...@esperi.org.uk>.
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Paul Koning prattled cheerily:
>  Romain> Generally speaking, I don't even know a license which
>  Romain> restricts you from using the datas you generate with any
>  Romain> application the way you want, as long as those datas are
>  Romain> truly yours.
>
> Generally speaking, yes, but look at Bison for an exception.

More specifically, anything which is intended to be used to textually
include stuff licensed under several licenses into its output must make
special provisions in the license of that stuff to cater for that.

Compilers for many languages have to do this in the licenses for their
runtime libraries. GCC, for instance, has separate exceptions to the GPL
for libgcc (which is linked into all programs compiled with GCC),
libstdc++ header files (which are textually included into programs), and
the GNU Ada runtime library (which is automatically included into
programs by cross-unit inlining).

In all cases, the exceptions say something similar to this:

,----
| In addition to the permissions in the GNU General Public License, the
| Free Software Foundation gives you unlimited permission to link the
| compiled version of this file into combinations with other programs,
| and to distribute those combinations without any restriction coming
| from the use of this file.  (The General Public License restrictions
| do apply in other respects; for example, they cover modification of
| the file, and distribution when not linked into a combine
| executable.)
`----

(Microsoft uses the license for its runtime libraries to clamp down
barriers to competition. I doubt anyone will be too surprised.)

Older versions of Bison took the interesting approach --- or unpleasant
approach, depending on your viewpoint --- of splitting the files it
included into two pieces, one of which was usable in any projects
without restriction, and the other of which (implementing the
superset-of-POSIX stuff that Bison could do) was GPLed --- the idea
being that if you wanted to use the nifty extra features, you had to
license the work that used that parser under the GPL.

(RMS stopped using this trick in Bison 1.24, released in 1995, when it
became clear that it wasn't doing anything other than annoying people.)

However, this is all quite off-topic, as none of it applies to
Subversion, which doesn't textually include things shipped with
Subversion into its output (it'd be a rather unusual VCS that did that).

So the license of your works is totally unaffected by the version
control system you store them in.

--
`One cannot, after all, be expected to read every single word
 of a book whose author one wishes to insult.' --- Richard Dawkins

Re: Are projects, which I manage whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz?

Posted by Stephane Bortzmeyer <bo...@nic.fr>.
On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 09:44:31AM -0400,
 Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com> wrote
 a message of 16 lines which said:

> The point is that the output from Bison is is also under GPL, either
> that, or to make it useful you have to compile or link it with code
> that is under GPL.  So you can only use Bison to creat GPL
> applications.

This is absolutely wrong and you should have checked facts before
posting:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Can I use GPL-covered editors such as GNU Emacs to develop non-free
programs? Can I use GPL-covered tools such as GCC to compile them?

    Yes, because the copyright on the editors and tools does not cover the code you write. Using them does not place any restrictions, legally, on the license you use for your code.

    Some programs copy parts of themselves into the output for technical reasons--for example, Bison copies a standard parser program into its output file. In such cases, the copied text in the output is covered by the same license that covers it in the source code. Meanwhile, the part of the output which is derived from the program's input inherits the copyright status of the input.

    As it happens, Bison can also be used to develop non-free programs. This is because we decided to explicitly permit the use of the Bison standard parser program in Bison output files without restriction. We made the decision because there were other tools comparable to Bison which already permitted use for non-free programs.

Re: Are projects, which I manage whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz?

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 Romain> Well Bison seems to be under the GPL ? I don't get the point

The point is that the output from Bison is is also under GPL, either
that, or to make it useful you have to compile or link it with code
that is under GPL.  So you can only use Bison to creat GPL
applications.

	paul

Re: Are projects, which I manage whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz?

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 Romain> AKAIK, Subversion's license is not even GPL. It's an
 Romain> Apache/BSD as said on the homepage, but I don't know if it
 Romain> allows reuse of the code for commercial purpose, like the
 Romain> original BSD.

Posted by Romain Prévost <pr...@gmail.com>.

2005/9/13, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>:
> On Sep 13, 2005, at 10:09, Viktor Frank wrote:
>
> > we use for our development subversion / tortoise and are very
> > satisfy. But we have one question? Are projects, which we manage
> > whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz too?
>
> Gosh, I hope not. That would be pretty nuts. :-)
>
> Are documents one writes with Word automatically under a Microsoft
> license?
>
> Is this email I'm writing under an Apple license?

Romain Prévost
Epitech promotion 2007

Re: Are projects, which I manage whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 13, 2005, at 10:09, Viktor Frank wrote:

> we use for our development subversion / tortoise and are very
> satisfy. But we have one question? Are projects, which we manage
> whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz too?

Gosh, I hope not. That would be pretty nuts. :-)

Are documents one writes with Word automatically under a Microsoft
license?

Is this email I'm writing under an Apple license?

Antwort: Are projects, which I manage whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz? [Virus checked]

Posted by an...@t-mobile.at.
Hello Viktor,

Only software, which is under the GPL license will be used or modified in a
project causes the result must released under the GPL.
Projects which only use open source development tools (as gcc, CVS,
subversion, tortoise, ...) do NOT presume, that the result has to be
released under the GPL.

furthermore information: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Greetings
Andi

T-Mobile Austria GmbH

Andreas Kollenbach
Information Technologies / Quality Management
Software Lifecycle & Tools

Rennweg 97-99
A-1030 Wien
Fon: +43 1 79585 6160
Fax: +43 1 79585 7568
Mobile: +43 676 82006160
E-Mail: andreas.kollenbach@t-mobile.at
http://www.t-mobile.at

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Viktor Frank    |
|         |           <viktorfrank@web|
|         |           13.09.2005 10:09|
  |        An:      users@subversion.tigris.org                                                                                   |
  |        Kopie:   levente.maier@it2media.de                                                                                     |
  |        Thema:   Are projects, which I manage whis tortoise / subversion automaticly under GPL Lizenz?  [Virus checked]        |