Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Wes Gorgichuk <we...@gskinner.com> on 2013/03/06 00:42:44 UTC

Spelling Plus Library (SPL) Open Sourced

Hey everyone;

     I've noticed a few posts recently about possibly getting Squiggly
donated to this project. That got me thinking about our own
(gskinner.com's) spelling library.  It was a commercial project that
we've had ongoing for around 6 years, however lately it has grown
stagnate, so it was time to open-source it. Werecently released it under
an MIT license on GitHub (http://www.github.com/gskinner/SPL).  I know
its not a donation to this project, but being MIT anyone can take the
source and do anything they want with it.

The current version fully supports the Flash component set, TextField,
TLF and RichEditableText in both Flash, and the Flex SDK (both 3.x and
4.x). Officially it supports English (US and UK), however there are
additional dictionaries for Spanish, French, and German. We also have a
AIR application that lets you easily create new dictionary files in your
own language (the source is also in that GitHub repo). You can read more
here; http://gskinner.com/products/spl/ (and checkout a live demo).  The
source for those demos is all in the GitHub repo.

Our hope is by open sourcing it the library will find a new life in the
open-source community.  And maybe even in the Flex sdk ... :)

Wes Gorgichuk
gskinner.com

Re: Spelling Plus Library (SPL) Open Sourced

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Wes Gorgichuk <we...@gskinner.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone;
>
>     I've noticed a few posts recently about possibly getting Squiggly
> donated to this project. That got me thinking about our own (gskinner.com's)
> spelling library.  It was a commercial project that we've had ongoing for
> around 6 years, however lately it has grown stagnate, so it was time to
> open-source it. Werecently released it under an MIT license on GitHub (
> http://www.github.com/**gskinner/SPL <http://www.github.com/gskinner/SPL>).
>  I know its not a donation to this project, but being MIT anyone can take
> the source and do anything they want with it.
>
> The current version fully supports the Flash component set, TextField, TLF
> and RichEditableText in both Flash, and the Flex SDK (both 3.x and 4.x).
> Officially it supports English (US and UK), however there are additional
> dictionaries for Spanish, French, and German. We also have a AIR
> application that lets you easily create new dictionary files in your own
> language (the source is also in that GitHub repo). You can read more here;
> http://gskinner.com/products/**spl/ <http://gskinner.com/products/spl/>(and checkout a live demo).  The source for those demos is all in the
> GitHub repo.
>
> Our hope is by open sourcing it the library will find a new life in the
> open-source community.  And maybe even in the Flex sdk ... :)
>
> Wes Gorgichuk
> gskinner.com

Wes,

Thanks for this notification.  I have used SPL for a past (we preferred it
over Squigly) and I have to say it was great and just worked.  I would like
to point out to you that Apache policy does not allow us to bring over
other license holders' code into the project without their explicit grant -
regardless of their license.

I think there would be sufficient interest in making use of the SPL library
if you or your company can provide Apache Flex with the software grants.

If you are interested, the process is as follows :

1. You fill out and sign all legal documents
2. Some of us will review the code (it can be given via a zip associated to
a JIRA ticket).  If it looks ok, we will start the committer approval
process for you.  Takes a minimum of 3 business days.
3. We discuss where this code should land, the package names.
4. Once the software grant is recorded, someone can check in the code.
5. Once it is in, it gets another review.  This means making sure there are
no binaries, that the headers are correct, that your copyrights (but not
any third-party copyrights) are moved to the NOTICES file (which must be
done by you or with your explicit permission).
6. Based on 3, all kinds of good stuff happens.

[1] http://www.apache.org/**licenses/icla.txt<http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt>
[2] http://www.apache.org/**licenses/cla-corporate.txt<http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt>
[3] http://www.apache.org/**licenses/software-grant.txt<http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt>

Thanks again,
Om

P.S.  Thanks to Frederick Thomas for documenting the process