Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Uli Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2001/06/14 14:00:32 UTC

Rant (was: Re: Style-free XSLT Style Sheets samples code)

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Luca Morandini wrote:

>     I tried, but the only thing I get is a perfectly blank page (I mean even
>
>     Any clue ?

While I have no knowledge of Cocoon2 or your problem, I can say one
thing:

If you want to do any serious work in the XML field you must get rid of
Internet Explorer - use a different browser that complies to the HTTP
standard. This will get rid of an amazing number of "blank pages", plus
you'll be sure that the stuff you develop works on any HTTP-compliant
browser. There are many good browsers out there, so there is no reason
to use the one that tries to "embrace and extend" the Internet. With the
coming smart tags you can add "deface".

While I'm usually not a religious person, I must say that I am shocked at
the way Microsoft tries to make their software subtly incompatible with
the rest of the world - thereby trying to force users to abandon free
standards and flock to the Microsoft Web. I think we - in the sense of the
ASF and its supporters - should take a stand at this point. This behavior
of Microsoft hurts us not only in a religious or social way, it also makes
a mockery of the technical work done at ASF and other places.

The most frequent answer on this list is "RTFM", but "CYFB" (change your
fucking browser) is taking over :)

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung

RE: Rant (was: Re: Style-free XSLT Style Sheets samples code)

Posted by Luca Morandini <l....@tin.it>.
Uli,

	while I agree with you on the nasty Microsoft ways, I'd like to point out
that, like it or not, IE is the browser people use.

	That said, I can (barely) convince my customers to go the XML/Java way
instead of sucking ASP... but I won't never convince them to give up IE.

	Anyhow: my problem is there even using Navigator 6 or Navigator 4.75 :(

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
            lmorandini@ieee.org