Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> on 2000/08/30 21:11:29 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-velocity/src/java/org/apache/velocity/servletCGITool.java CookieTool.java FormListTool.java FormTool.java RequestTool.javaResponseTool.java SessionTool.java

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> [snip dlr and dave]
> This is something to discuss. Adding these things for compatibility
> shouldn't affect the performance of the template engine. If we
> have clean interfaces we can probably provide some modes of
> operation, some wrappers for turbine stuff if you're integrating
> Velocity and Turbine. But also provide stand-alone mode so that
> there is a drop in replacement for WM. This will coalesce
> eventually I'm sure. Maybe in time the Velocity/Turbine will
> be the prefered mode and the stand-alone will disappear.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what will happend WRT the requests
> of WM users.

How many people are really using WebMacro's service provider framework?
I'll be you most people are only using its templating capabilities.  I
would rather have a drop in replacement for WM's templating
functionality only--that is what drew people to it in the first
place--and avoid code bloat.  Those still wishing to use those
facilities can either stick with WM (which still has a bright
development future as a Jakarta project), or use Velocity + Turbine or
their own homegrown system (similar the JServ/Tomcat upgrade path).

--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>