Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/08/08 06:17:07 UTC

What about Felix for the name?

If I remember correctly Alan Cabrera recommended Felix as a name.  It
sounds like a good possibility.  Thoughts?

Alex

Re: What about Felix for the name?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <he...@gmail.com>.
On Monday 08 August 2005 12:17, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> If I remember correctly Alan Cabrera recommended Felix as a name.  It
> sounds like a good possibility.  Thoughts?

Noel, should we search for trademark issues, or wait for them to come to us,
as is done for patents?

Cheers
Niclas

Re: What about Felix for the name?

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Sounds good to me. Especially since I hate acronyms...

The quicker we get the name resolved the sooner I can make the necessary
changes to the source and makes some commits.

-> richard

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <he...@gmail.com>.
On Monday 08 August 2005 15:24, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> The only down side is that getting a domain name for felix.org, felix.com
> or felix.net won't work (they seem to be taken).

That is not an issue, as the home will in such case be felix.apache.org, as
all other top-level projects (TLPs) at ASF.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: What about Felix for the name?

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On Monday 08 August 2005 06:17, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> If I remember correctly Alan Cabrera recommended Felix as a name.  It
> sounds like a good possibility.  Thoughts?

I like the name. It definitely does not have a bad association in any language
I know.

The only down side is that getting a domain name for felix.org, felix.com or
felix.net won't work (they seem to be taken).

Greetings, Marcel

Re: What about Felix for the name?

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> If I remember correctly Alan Cabrera recommended Felix as a name.  It
> sounds like a good possibility.  Thoughts?

The name "Felix" has been growing on me ever since I first heard it.

+1.

Enrique

Re: What about Felix for the name?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Tuesday 09 August 2005 00:32, Alex Karasulu wrote:

<snip/>

>>I'd like to get this over and done with as quickly as possible.
>>

>Let's set a timeframe ( 3 days? A week? ) for proposals, then throw a vote.

3 days of name hunting sounds reasonable.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote, On 8/8/2005 11:58 AM:

>>Further checks seems to indicate that the owning company
>>(MPI Software Technology) was acquired by another company,
>>and I can't find any references on the combined website to Felix.
>>

>Nor could I, including in the list of trademarks claimed by the new company.

This could quite possibly be the only good idea I'm going to have for
2005.  It would be cool if we could name the project Felix.

Regards,
Alan

RE: What about Felix for the name?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Further checks seems to indicate that the owning company
> (MPI Software Technology) was acquired by another company,
> and I can't find any references on the combined website to Felix.

Nor could I, including in the list of trademarks claimed by the new company.

	--- Noel

Re: What about Felix for the name?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <he...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday 09 August 2005 00:32, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> The one associated with clusters could present a serious
> issue.  Perhaps we need some other options such as Assos as Yalciin
> recommended.

Further checks seems to indicate that the owning company (MPI Software
Technology) was acquired by another company, and I can't find any references
on the combined website to Felix.

> Let's keep the recommendations coming and scrutinize each one until we
> have a good set of options we can vote on.

Agree.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Monday 08 August 2005 15:42, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>

>>Le 8 août 05, à 06:17, Alex Karasulu a écrit :
>>

>>>If I remember correctly Alan Cabrera recommended Felix as a name.  It
>>>sounds like a good possibility.  Thoughts?
>>>

>>The Felix cat food people at http://www.catslikefelix.co.uk/ might not
>>be happy trademark-wise. I know it's a remote possibility, but as they
>>were here before I still wanted to mention it.
>>

>~50 hits of live trademarks when searched on the US PTO for "Felix". One is
>definately about computers (clusters), and includes the name (others are only
>the logo).

Too bad.  The one associated with clusters could present a serious
issue.  Perhaps we need some other options such as Assos as Yalciin
recommended.

Let's keep the recommendations coming and scrutinize each one until we
have a good set of options we can vote on.  I'd like to get this over
and done with as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 8 août 05, à 06:17, Alex Karasulu a écrit :

> If I remember correctly Alan Cabrera recommended Felix as a name.  It
> sounds like a good possibility.  Thoughts?

The Felix cat food people at http://www.catslikefelix.co.uk/ might not
be happy trademark-wise. I know it's a remote possibility, but as they
were here before I still wanted to mention it.

-Bertrand

Re: What about Felix for the name?

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/8/05, francesco furfari <fr...@isti.cnr.it> wrote:
> I like very much the metaphor behind ASSOS
> not the same for troy, etc...  (it's also a bad word in italy)
>

> What do you think about OSIRIS for the name?
>
> This is also the name used by ITEA project OSIRIS:
> "Open Source Infrastructure for Runtime Integration of Services"
> but Jesus Bermejo (project leader) is among the supporters of the
> incubation, and the project is related to OSGi ...
>
> it sounds similar to OSCAR and it is short
> you can use a styled logo
> it has a mythological origin
>   Egyptian god of Death :) but in his miracolous rebirth he symbolized
> the periodic flooding of the Nile the growth of the grain
>

> another similar option could be PHOENIX (benu egyptian):
>
>   another symbol of the resurrection to a new life, of immortality, and
> of life-after-death
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix

Apache Avalon already had a container named Phoenix.

I kinda like OSIRIS if the name were available.  Otherwise, Felix sounds good.

--
  jaaron

Re: What about Felix for the name?

Posted by francesco furfari <fr...@isti.cnr.it>.
I like very much the metaphor behind ASSOS
not the same for troy, etc...  (it's also a bad word in italy)

What do you think about OSIRIS for the name?

This is also the name used by ITEA project OSIRIS:
"Open Source Infrastructure for Runtime Integration of Services"
but Jesus Bermejo (project leader) is among the supporters of the
incubation, and the project is related to OSGi ...

it sounds similar to OSCAR and it is short
you can use a styled logo
it has a mythological origin
  Egyptian god of Death :) but in his miracolous rebirth he symbolized
the periodic flooding of the Nile the growth of the grain

another similar option could be PHOENIX (benu egyptian):

  another symbol of the resurrection to a new life, of immortality, and
of life-after-death
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix

-francesco

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yalcin Akdogan <ya...@chello.at>.
Felix is a latin word and means:

felix - lucky, fortunate, happy

Yalcin
Posted by Jeff McAffer <Je...@ca.ibm.com>.
Number one overriding characteristic of naming is that the name be
unambiguously pronouncable and easy to spell.  So far "Felix" is the only
one that meets that test (at least for me :-)
+1 for Felix
Jeff

"Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>
08/08/2005 10:16 AM
Please respond to
oscar-dev

<os...@incubator.apache.org>
cc
<dg...@apache.org>
Subject
RE: What about Felix for the name?

Two questions:

 (1) We'd need to do the trademark search
 (2) How does this address your previous comment:

       A descriptive name may lead to better search engine
       lookups and give users a more intuitive name to
       follow up on.

     This is the same issue that Sylvain noted.

The humor of going from Oscar (Madison) to Felix (Unger) is something that
only those of us from the appropriate culture and age to remember The Odd
Couple may perceive.

Some of us may even recall Felix the Cat.  Cat, as in "Container
ArchiTecture" or "Container Architecture Technology" (I prefer the first).

I have absolutely no idea of the IP status for Felix the Cat.  But if we
did
go with Felix, that might be an interesting mascot.  We should also check
with David Geary (cc'd), since I did come across this reference:

http://www.nofluffjuststuff.com/show_session_view.jsp?sessionId=401&showId
=16

where he appear to be using Felix to refer to some JSF thing.

OSIRIS, suggested by Francesco Furfari, would be another fine choice if he
is correct that the people using it would permit it.

                 --- Noel

ref: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=felix+the+cat
     http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/O/htmlO/oddcouplet/oddcouplet.htm

RE: What about Felix for the name?