Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Viral Bajaria <vi...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/05 01:02:34 UTC

weird alter table commands running on hive metastore

Hi,

I am seeing a bunch of "ALTER TABLE" commands running on my hive metastore
(MySQL / MariaDB) and it happens whenever I run the Hive CLI.

Why would running a Hive CLI issue ALTER TABLE commands ?

Those ALTER TABLE commands lock the metastore and hence I find a lot of
DEADLOCK issues which I had raised in a separate ticket.

Thanks,
Viral

Re: weird alter table commands running on hive metastore

Posted by Viral Bajaria <vi...@gmail.com>.
Just so that this helps someone else... I found that the issue is with
metastore running on a MariaDB 10.0 with TokuDB engine 7.1

TokuDB does not support foreign keys, it allows the execution of the ALTER
TABLE statements, rebuilds the table for some reason but the foreign key
constraint is not applied.

When hive cli is started, it checks for the constraints, which comes as a
surprise to me, and it applies the missing DDLs.

Because of our distributed infrastructure which runs hive queries via CLI
invocation, the problem was more exaggerated and a lot of queries would
fail.

We switched the engine to InnoDB and everything is working fine now.

Thanks,
Viral

Posted by Viral Bajaria <vi...@gmail.com>.