Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sean Dawson <se...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/17 13:20:15 UTC

Wildcard certificates

Hello, I have a widlcard certificate from GoDaddy. Can I use this with
Tomcat? (8.5)

I have the files crt (primary certificate?), p7b (intermediate?), pfx
(private key?), and a .key file. I did not generate a certificate request
prior to this.

Google is telling me that either I need to generate a certificate request
first, or it's telling everything I need to know about wildcard
certificates except how to use the above files.

This is for Tomcat 8.5 with Java 8 on CentOS 7, and Windows Server 2016.

Thank you.

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.
Here is a mostly manual process for integration of certbot with tomcat
7.x.x.  This presupposes you have certbot installed and working (I'm
using Debian):

// generate the certificates
./certbot-auto certonly --webroot -w /path/to/certbotauth/

// paste in
domain1.com domain2.com domain3.com domainN.com

// convert key format
openssl pkcs12 -export -out gbsapp-bundle.pfx -inkey privkey.pem -in
cert.pem -certfile chain.pem -password pass:keystorepass

// change folders into the directory where the cert was generated
cd /etc/letsencrypt/live/primarydomain.com/

// copy key and change permissions
cp bundlename-bundle.pfx /pathtotomcat/apache-tomcat-7.x.x/conf/

Here is what I'm using to handle the certbot challenge in my custom MVC:

            if(request.getPathInfo().indexOf("acme-challenge") > 0)
            {
                // certbot request
                // todo - further validate authenticity of request
                // example:
/.well-known/acme-challenge/Z9kDHD-PDvjAPT6pUaeGCoNP2f-GNoLFpXOKoAA_58k:
                String certAuthRoot = "certbot/auth/folder/path";
                log.info("Cert bot challenge detected.");
                File file = new File(certAuthRoot + request.getPathInfo());
                FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(file);
                OutputStream os = response.getOutputStream();
                int fileContents;
                while((fileContents = fis.read()) != -1)
                {
                    os.write(fileContents);
                }
                os.flush();
                fis.close();
                return;
            }

Hope this helps,

John

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by Sean Dawson <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by "TurboChargedDad ." <li...@gmail.com>.
Multi-tenant or single tenant system?

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by Sean Dawson <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by John Larsen <jo...@javapipe.com>.

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.
I manage dozens of contexts/domains using loosely coupled code.

Chris - of course it's amazing.  I would also call it super and profound. :)

I am in the middle of some TI at our office today .. can't really stop
to do this.

I have the code used to identify and validate the certbot requests and
a few scripts that use the certbot to do the work.

Come to think of it,  my certs will need renewal soon.  I'll take a
pass over what I have and send it out after I renew .. thank you for
your patience.

John

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.
On 4/17/19, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> John,
>
> On 4/17/19 10:42, John Dale wrote:
>> My understanding is that the folks at SUN really put their backs
>> into it from the beginning:
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/479701/does-java-have-buffer-overf
> lows
>>
>>  Since hot spot compilers have matured, Java is virtually as fast
>> as C/++ (the Java is slow argument falls in my deaf ears, even if
>> it is amazingly repeated still today by members of other
>> programming religions).
>
> Where it really sucks, though, is crypto. When JSSE decides to use
> hardware for crypto, things go really well. But it often does not make
> that decision due to a few bugs here and there that still appear to
> remain in the runtime.
>
> Tomcat benchmarks comparing JSSE versus OpenSSL are at least an order
> of magnitude different, sometimes two, in favor of OpenSSL.
>
> Have a look at any of the slides Jean-Frederic Clere has presented at
> any recent ApacheCon conferences and you can see his benchmarks
> comparing them.
>
> The good news is that Tomcat+OpenSSL is comparable to httpd+OpenSSL,
> so if you are able to use tcnative (required for OpenSSL use from
> Tomcat), then the performance argument is pretty much moot.
>
> I myself always front Tomcat with another web server, but that is for
> other reasons. Security and performance are nice-to-haves but aren't
> really justified IMHO. Flexibility is the primary reason I front my
> Tomcat instances with web servers. Tomcat doesn't make a great
> load-balancer.
>
> - -chris

You mean on its own without modification?  I think Tomcat makes a
great load balancer, but I had to write a little code.

HTTPD has a lot of plugins and ad-ons and a history of integration
with lots of tools from firewall to email and beyond.  It's a crazy
piece of software that is very mature, but I found it to be overkill
for my purposes .. I just use LFD/CFS manually, and I will continue to
improve my DDOS, other exploit mitigation code.

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.
My understanding is that the folks at SUN really put their backs into
it from the beginning:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/479701/does-java-have-buffer-overflows

Since hot spot compilers have matured, Java is virtually as fast as
C/++ (the Java is slow argument falls in my deaf ears, even if it is
amazingly repeated still today by members of other programming
religions).

Other proxies/balancers also do threat mitigation (DDOS, flooding,
etc).  I have written some of my own code to deal with this .. because
of the way I handle data and MVC, I have a central place to park all
of the heuristics.  I bet these heuristics could become robust and
maintainable over time.

I would be happy to share (would need a little time to isolate and
deliver). I have always wondered how difficult it is to have
Apache/Tomcat evaluate new projects.  Part of  this certbot solution
requires providing some automated validation for the certbot CSA
agent.  This code can stand alone, but I have it integrated with some
other tools that have also proven helpful.  I wonder if I might
attract a sponsorship from someone within ASF for my project?

I call it DB2DOM.COM - it's a "pseudosingularity" because it is used
to extend and maintain itself.

Any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Have a good one,

John

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by "TurboChargedDad ." <li...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.
Exactly .. this is part of the solution.  I am having tomcat behave
smartly in response to the certificate validation, and I have a nice
path to develop some cool tools, similar to HTTPD, around certbot (I
love that this is a free service, but I do have some concerns over
centralized CSA, so I do other symmetric key encryption in other areas
to help me sleep at night).

Re: Wildcard certificates

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Wildcard certificates