Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/31 12:53:54 UTC

[ATTN: Release Managers] 3 binding +1's for a Release from PMC folks

Dear Release Managers,

[Sorry for the cross post!]

Please don't make a release unless there are 3 binding votes from pmc
members. We need it for legal purposes.

There is one more quirk about what we actually vote on. HTTPD pmc
votes on a svn tag and then the release managers cut binaries
corresponding to that tag. We tend to vote on a feature list and then
release managers make it happen.Again this is also for legal purposes
to make sure that there is proper oversight on what gets into a
release.  I am still finding out how other projects do it. Your
suggestions are welcome! Please post only to general@ws for discussion
to ensure maximum participation.

thanks,
dims

Re: [ATTN: Release Managers] 3 binding +1's for a Release from PMC folks

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Please bump up the version # slightly and let's cut a new release.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/2/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There was a Jakarta Commons Utils many eons ago, but we threw the name
> out and split it up into Lang, IO, Codec and others. They grew. :)

I have no problem with splitting them when I find *that* there is
something growing. Within the last year, I didn't have that
impression.

Jochen

--
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the
majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Re: [ATTN: Release Managers] 3 binding +1's for a Release from PMC folks

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 6/1/06, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/2/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
>
> > Guys what's in commons-util? That seems like a redundant naming
> > strategy .. commons is by definition utility stuff so what's a utility
> > within commons??
>
> It's defined as a set of utilities for XML handling, each of which
> which are too small for a separate project. Included are xs:dateTime
> parses and formatters, serializers, classes for namespace handling,
> and stuff like that. Give me a better name, although I wouldn't be too
> happy to change it after the project is around for 1 year. (And has
> always been since the foundation of the ws-commons.)

There was a Jakarta Commons Utils many eons ago, but we threw the name
out and split it up into Lang, IO, Codec and others. They grew. :)

Hen

Re: [ATTN: Release Managers] 3 binding +1's for a Release from PMC folks

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Guys what's in commons-util? That seems like a redundant naming
strategy .. commons is by definition utility stuff so what's a utility
within commons??

Sanjiva.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Dims,

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
It's on our front page :)
http://ws.apache.org/

That's the problem. i want to reduce the # of votes. i think typically
in httpd pmc the release manager works evern w/o the first vote. so
technically there is only one vote.

-- dims

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Hi Dims,

--
Dan Diephouse
(616) 971-2053

Re: [ATTN: Release Managers] 3 binding +1's for a Release from PMC folks

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
please ping paul and sanjiva and ask them to vote. they are on incubator pmc.

thx,
dims