Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2020/05/25 07:50:45 UTC

[DRAFT] [ANNOUNCE] Apache PLC4X 0.7.0 Released!

The Apache PLC4X team is pleased to announce the release of Apache PLC4X 0.7.0

PLC4X is a set of libraries for communicating with industrial programmable
logic controllers (PLCs) using a variety of protocols but with a shared API.
This is the last release of PLC4X with the "handwritten" drivers.
This Minor release will thus receive updates and fixes until
most users have switched to 0.7 and above (with generated drivers).

This is probably the biggest release we had so far. It marks a milestone in providing
Driver implementations for multiple target languages, as with this release all
existing drivers have been deleted and replaced by new generated drivers.
We also took the opportunity to fix some of the problems we noticed on the
old drivers.

However we suggest to update with caution and not instantly go into production
without previously testing. As with all new things, even if we did a serious amount
of testing, there might be issues hidden in the details. If you should find any
regression issues, please report them as we are planning on speeding up the release-
train significantly with this release. For the time being the 0.6.0 branch will continue
to be maintained until feedback from the community makes us feel safe with
focusing solely on the new drivers.

Regards,
The Apache PLC4X team

[1] http://plc4x.apache.org<http://plc4x.apache.org/>
[2] http://plc4x.apache.org/users/download.html

Re: [DRAFT] [ANNOUNCE] Apache PLC4X 0.7.0 Released!

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
The Apache PLC4X team is pleased to announce the release of Apache PLC4X 0.7.0

PLC4X is a set of libraries for communicating with industrial programmable
logic controllers (PLCs) using a variety of protocols but with a shared API.
This is the last release of PLC4X with the "handwritten" drivers.
This Minor release will thus receive updates and fixes until
most users have switched to 0.7 and above (with generated drivers).
If you are interested in details of this, please check our website here:
https://plc4x.apache.org/developers/code-gen/index.html

This is probably the biggest release we had so far. It marks a milestone in providing
Driver implementations for multiple target languages, as with this release all
existing drivers have been deleted and replaced by new generated drivers.
We also took the opportunity to fix some of the problems we noticed on the
old drivers. Please note that starting with this version the connection string syntax
has changed significantly and for some drivers also the address syntax. So please
be sure to double check our driver documentation here:
https://plc4x.apache.org/users/protocols/index.html

However we suggest to update with caution and not instantly go into production
without previously testing. As with all new things, even if we did a serious amount
of testing, there might be issues hidden in the details. If you should find any
regression issues, please report them as we are planning on speeding up the release-
train significantly with this release. For the time being the 0.6.0 branch will continue
to be maintained until feedback from the community makes us feel safe with
focusing solely on the new drivers.

Regards,
The Apache PLC4X team

[1] http://plc4x.apache.org<http://plc4x.apache.org/>
[2] http://plc4x.apache.org/users/download.html

Am 25.05.20, 10:29 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    Hi Lukas,

    I think this information is a little too much for the typical Announce email.

    This is usually aimed at consumers of project artifacts and they don't really care about the internals.

    I can add a notice that if someone is interested on this topic to check our documentation or contact us on our list.

    I did however notice I should add a notice on the changed connection-string and sometimes address string syntax ... should mention that.

    Chris

    Am 25.05.20, 10:16 schrieb "Lukas Ott" <ot...@gmail.com>:

        +1

        Somewhat I am missing a little bit linkage to mspec-format ("the how we
        create generated drivers" -> We established the mspec-format as the basis
        for generating drivers more can be found here:
        https://plc4x.apache.org/developers/code-gen/protocol/mspec.html .
        This enables developers to easily develop new drivers.)

        Additionally off-topic remark: for me personally -> what is needed to
        transfer the driver generation to other languages (basically what are the
        steps you are currently working on for the C language and what steps are
        needed to to bring other language like Python there?
        (e.g. Step 1: Definition of API, Step 2: Definition of , ...)

        Thanks Chris for the effort :) + Good job PLC4X Team it is an awesome
        journey so far.

        Regards,
        Lukas

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.