Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Laura Kruse <lm...@cis.ksu.edu> on 2000/04/04 17:51:29 UTC

xml to wml using Cocoon

	I'm pretty sure this has something to do with not setting the mime-type
somewhere but I don't know where.  In the httpd.conf I have the
following lines.

text/vnd.wap.wml wml
text/vnd.wap.wmlscript wmls
application/vnd.wap.wmlc wmlc
application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc wmlsc
application/vnd.wap.wbxml wbxml
image/vnd.wap.wbmp wbmp

So if you want to view a wml file in a Nokia phone for example it works
fine.  So anything ending in a wml extention is readable by the phone.
The problem becomes when I point the url to something like.
http://oneusecorp.com/blur/talk/text.xml is that the phone is convinced
that .xml files are plain text html, well that's the error that it gives
me.  What confuses me is that it ignores the
<?xml-stylesheet href="text-wap.xsl" type="text/xsl" media="wap"?> to
transform it into wml so that the phone can read it.  I'm thinking that
I need to put somewhere in a config file that xml files should not be
treated the same as the html files.  But I don't know where. Any
suggestions?

	- Laura

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Marcello Granata <mg...@matrix.it>.
Are you sure that the user-agent string you receive is that one?
Try out this site:
http://wap.colorline.no/clientinfo.html

Posted by Colin Britton <cb...@mediabridge.net>.
Cocoon 1.7.2 includes the changes to the properties file that makes the wap
respond to the nokia phone and toolkit.

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Laura Kruse <lm...@cis.ksu.edu>.

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi a écrit :
> >
> > Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION wrote:
> > >
> > > A Wap agent is supposed to send text/vnd.wap.wml in
> > > HTTP_ACCEPT. Is it possible to make Cocoon use it ?
> >
> > No, not in Cocoon1, but with Cocoon2 matchers this will be possible.
>
> Another WAP specific question :
>
> On a Nokia7110, a wmlc deck can not be larger than about 1300 bytes.
> (wmlc is compiled wml, common strings, tags and attributs are
> encoded as a 1 byte tocken). Others WAP Browser have similar
> limitations (UP : 1424 bytes).
>
> Will (Does) Cocoon2 (and maybe Cocoon1) have a easy way to cut
> a xml document in smaller documents at XSL rendering stage
> (without using XSP), and ask one at the time?

Hmmm... I haven't thought about that... no, I don't think it's possible
automatically... I mean, using a serializer... since you have to give
back some information on the sitemap... hmmmm, I have to think more
about this since the "break a document in pieces" is a pattern that many
will need...

need to think more about this... (ideas are welcome, of course).

> If not, having a single xml to produce text/html and text/vnd.wap.wml
> is less interesting as we need a xml file for each, or need to put a
> lot of XSP inside and lost separation between content and style.

I totally understand.

> (Yes, WAP Browser are ...)

...a pain, I know, but they require those limitations.... hmmm we must
do something for that...

You'll hear from me when I have a solution.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION <sk...@n-soft.com>.

--
Seb

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Wed, 05 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> This is the way it is... you thought that Nescape/IE was a war? you
> haven't seen anything :)
>
> This is why you'll always need something like Cocoon on your server,
> even when all browsers will be XML capable.

You're preaching to the converted - ask Donald! <grin /> I have a really clear
understanding of *WHY* I need it, and I'm getting close to understanding how to
use it properly.

> It sucks, I agree... but there is no way in the world you can make all
> those wap phones agree on something.... the market will create the
> leading role and we'll follow.
<trim type="rant" value="WAP" />
> Tell me, it's that stupid?

It's got a lot going for it on the stupid side, but the up side is eventually
there will be better content, and better rates. At least Stateside. I mean,
with the prices PCS/Celular providers ahve to offer here to get and keep
customers, prices are not to unreasonable. But the lack of content is a problem.

> Today, XML is a reality, WAP is a total hype.... but it shows your
> manager something that Cocoon does and few others can do. This is the
> only useful usage I see for WAP right now :)

Again, preaching to the converted. As WAP catches on in the states, maybe we
can get something of a killer app going. I'd just be happy to read me email on
a phone. And have someone else pay for it <grin />

> Guess what, the Nokia Browser is written in Java :)

Yup, and the only way I can get it is in a windows EXE installer. Back to
VMWare, I guess....

--
- Kevin Sonney
  kevin@webslingerZ.com

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Kevin Sonney wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Apr 2000, Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION wrote:
> > As I wrote it 4 hours ago in the list, the only reliable way
> > I know, is when HTTP_ACCEPT match text/vnd.wap.wml
> > But I don't know who to make Cocoon use it.
>
> Er, I think that's one of the messages that ran right through my pre-coffee
> email check. Oops.
>
> Hmm. You might be able to do some wrapping in apache, but that won't help
> non-apache people.
>
> > Bad news, we still need to have the ability to change things
> > depending on the browser as :
>
> I can understand that. Not everything is perfect.
>
> >       * Nokia7110 send text/plain before text/vnd.wap.wml but
> > can not handle text/plain (With the only error message it knows :
> > can't load).
> >       * UP.Browser send text/html and */*, but can not handle
> > them.
>
> OK, now this is just plain silly. Why not send text/vnd.wap.wml first, as it's
> the primary platform for the browser? If netscape or IE asked for text/plain
> before text/html, there's be a lot of unhappy people out there. This sounds, in
> part, to an implementation problem on the part of the browser vendors. We
> should bug them about it first, as well as figure out a way to work around it.

This is the way it is... you thought that Nescape/IE was a war? you
haven't seen anything :)

This is why you'll always need something like Cocoon on your server,
even when all browsers will be XML capable.

It sucks, I agree... but there is no way in the world you can make all
those wap phones agree on something.... the market will create the
leading role and we'll follow.

BTW, wap is an interesting concept but clearly sucks in two things for
europeans:

1) lack of killer apps
2) time-based fee

Ever tried to browse thru a wap gateway? it takes time and most of the
time the information is stripped from HTML... which clearly sucks.

I'm not saying that wap won't take off... but even Iridium seemed a good
thing at first :)

Who is going to pay 1$ to know when the bus comes, when the bus fee is
even lower? There's clearly something wrong in the picture... and
technology is the last of our problems.

For example, look at DECT.... a perfect choice for wireless-MANs up to
2Mb/sec, it's already in place in almost every italian city... they are
shutting it off because they wanted to use it for home cordless phones.

Tell me, it's that stupid?

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerZ.com>.

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION <sk...@n-soft.com>.

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Kevin Sonney <ke...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Wed, 05 Apr 2000, Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION wrote:
> You can add:
> 	YourWap		- a emulation
> 	UP.Browser	- a WAP Browser (Phones & Phones-Emulations)
>
> But I think it's the wrong way to solve the problem.

Yeah, I'm begining to think the same thing. There are a multitude of browsers
out there, and no one WAP browser has the same capabilities as annother
(including card & stack size - the stack buffer on UP might be bigger than the
one on the Nokia 9100).

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Sebastien Koechlin I-VISION <sk...@n-soft.com>.

Re: xml to wml using Cocoon

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Tsoloane Moahloli wrote:

> This would be quite nice, right now I am adding a new browser line for
> every phone we discover
>
> lucky currently only the Nokia 7110 and the Ericsson RS320, as well as
> the relevant development/emulation environments.
>
> FYI, here are my browser lines...
>
> browser.4 = wap=Nokia-WAP-Toolkit
> browser.5 = netscape=Mozilla
> browser.6 = wap=Nokia7110/1.0 (04.69)
> browser.7 = wap=WapIDE
> browser.8 = wap=Ericsson

browser.4 = wap=Nokia

would take care of both your case 4 and 6.. and all other Nokia phones.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Cocoon for Japanese Mobile Phone

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Mohamad Mataram Purbo wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm writing experimental 'portal' site for Japanese web-enabled mobile phone
> (as you might all aware that there are already 10 million mobile-web-user
> here with billions page-view a day in total).
>
> There are 3 major players in Japanese mobile market:
> 1. NTT DoCoMo (about 60% market share), using CHTML, with about 7000
> content-provider CHTML specific.
> 2. IDO (20% market share), using HDML, (i don't know the figure, but i guess
> some hundreds)
> 3. J-Phone (20% market share), using MML, more than 100 of content-provider
> MML-specific
>
> All of these systems can access HTML content with many limitations.
>
> I'm trying Cocoon to serve to all of these types of web-device.
> My problem is,
>
> Not all of the mobile-client agent sends user-Agent information on HTTP
> header, so I cannot use Cocoon mechanism to recognize these client. But they
> do sends some specific information in the HTTP header to identified
> themselves.
>
> for example,
> J-SH02 (latest model of Sharp for J-Phone with 256 color display) sends
> these
> information in the header:
> x-jphone-display=96*98
> x-jphone-color=256
> x-jphone-name=J-SH02
> etc etc...
>
> To resolve this problem, i'm thinking of preprocessing the http header info
> before passing the request to cocoon.
>
> Well, anyway i cannot think of any 'clean' and 'elegant' solution for this
> problem. Just wondering whether one day Cocoon will has customized way to
> recognize user agent.
>
> Does anybody has idea about this?

Cocoon2 provides/will-provide what you need: they are called "matchers"
and are pluggable classes that allow you to say

 boolean matches(HttpServletRequest request)

to a request that arrives on the specific URI (using the Sitemap). With
such toys, you can perform whatever analysis on your request, even the
most complicated one, then simply say "yeah, this is for me".

So you basically do mapping with "uri" + "matcher"... in fact, we
already know that "uri" mapping is not enough... but also you can do
very fancy matching like

 - BandwidthLoadMatcher ----> apply the low-bandwidth stylesheet when
your backbone is under heavy load... so that you create a negative
feedback that should stabilize your system: which means "if you have
band, use it, if you don't, try to save it".

 - TimeOfTheDayMatcher ---> apply a different stylesheet depending on
the time of the day... in the requestor's time zone! the dawn
stylesheet, the night stylesheet... and so on.

and so on... once you have the complete sitemap architecture in place,
mapping thru "user-agent" will be piece of cake and I'm sure you guys
will come up with so many new usages I cannot even dream of.

Pier, BTW, what's the status of the matching subsystem?

> Anyway, thank you to the creator, for this great product.

You're welcome  :)

Posted by Mohamad Mataram Purbo <pu...@apas.co.jp>.
Dear All,

[...]

Best Regards,