Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adolfo Miguelez <pe...@hotmail.com> on 2002/07/12 13:35:12 UTC

tricky issue - non serializable DiskFile

Hi All,

we are working in a persisted environment as is Websphere 3.5. When we use
DiskFile it throws the same exception that was reported in this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg25463.html

a NonSerializedException for the DiskFile object.

It seems to us, that as DiskFile o FormFile belongs to ActionForm, when we
declared the ActionForm in the properties with default scope, i.e. session,
when WAS attempts to serialize the DiskFile but it is not able to do it
since it does not implement Serializable.

On the other hand, when we declare the ActionForm to be in request scope,
the exception is not raised. This confirms the previous.

Therefore, it looks like, that at least in Struts 1.0.2 ActionForms with
DikFile attributes can not have session scope. Is this a bug? Could be
solved by assigning it transient modifier? Will I need to assign session
scope for ActionForms to upload operations?

Adolfo