Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Zahid Rahman <za...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/28 05:32:57 UTC

BUG: spark.readStream .schema(staticSchema) not receiving schema information

Hi,
version: spark-3.0.0-preview2-bin-hadoop2.7

As you can see from the code :

STEP 1:  I  create a object of type static frame which holds all the
information to the datasource (csv files).

STEP 2: Then I create a variable  called staticSchema  assigning the
information of the schema from the original static data frame.

STEP 3: then I create another variable called val streamingDataFrame of
type spark.readStream.
and Into the .schema function parameters I pass the object staticSchema
which is meant to hold the information to the  csv files including the
.load(path) function etc.

So then when I am creating val StreamingDataFrame and passing it
.schema(staticSchema)
the variable StreamingDataFrame  should have all the information.
I should only have to call .option("maxFilePerTrigger",1) and not .format
("csv") .option("header","true").load("/data/retail-data/by-day/*.csv")
Otherwise what is the point of passing .schema(staticSchema) to
StreamingDataFrame.

You can replicate it using the complete code below.

import org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession
import org.apache.spark.sql.functions.{window,column,desc,col}

object RetailData {

  def main(args: Array[String]): Unit = {

    // create spark session
    val spark =
SparkSession.builder().master("spark://192.168.0.38:7077").appName("Retail
Data").getOrCreate();
    // set spark runtime  configuration
    spark.conf.set("spark.sql.shuffle.partitions","5")
    spark.conf.set("spark.sql.streaming.forceDeleteTempCheckpointLocation","True")

    // create a static frame
  val staticDataFrame = spark.read.format("csv")
    .option ("header","true")
    .option("inferschema","true")
    .load("/data/retail-data/by-day/*.csv")

    staticDataFrame.createOrReplaceTempView("retail_data")
    val staticSchema = staticDataFrame.schema

    staticDataFrame
      .selectExpr(
        "CustomerId","UnitPrice * Quantity as total_cost", "InvoiceDate")
      .groupBy(col("CustomerId"),
        window(col("InvoiceDate"),
        "1 day"))
      .sum("total_cost")
      .sort(desc("sum(total_cost)"))
      .show(2)

    val streamingDataFrame = spark.readStream
      .schema(staticSchema)
      .format("csv")
      .option("maxFilesPerTrigger", 1)
      .option("header","true")
      .load("/data/retail-data/by-day/*.csv")

      println(streamingDataFrame.isStreaming)

    // lazy operation so we will need to call a streaming action to
start the action
    val purchaseByCustomerPerHour = streamingDataFrame
    .selectExpr(
      "CustomerId",
      "(UnitPrice * Quantity) as total_cost",
      "InvoiceDate")
    .groupBy(
      col("CustomerId"), window(col("InvoiceDate"), "1 day"))
    .sum("total_cost")

    // stream action to write to console
    purchaseByCustomerPerHour.writeStream
      .format("console")
      .queryName("customer_purchases")
      .outputMode("complete")
      .start()

  } // main

} // object

val staticSchema = staticDataFrame.schema

Backbutton.co.uk
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
♡۶Java♡۶RMI ♡۶
Make Use Method {MUM}
makeuse.org
<http://www.backbutton.co.uk>

Re: BUG: spark.readStream .schema(staticSchema) not receiving schema information

Posted by Zahid Rahman <za...@gmail.com>.
Very kind of you.

Posted by Zahid Rahman <za...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the tip!

But if the first thing you come across
Is somebody  using the trim function to strip away spaces in /etc/hostnames
like so from :

127.0.0.1 hostname local

127.0.0.1hostnamelocal

Then there is a log error message showing the outcome of unnecessarily
using the trim function.

Especially when one of the spark core functionality is to read lines from
files separated by a space, comma.

Also have you seen the log4j.properties
Setting to ERROR and in one case FATAL
for suppressing discrepancies.

Please May I draw your attention and attention of all in the community to
this page Which shows turning on compiler WARNINGS  before releasing
software and other software best practices.

“The Power of 10 — NASA’s Rules for Coding” by Riccardo Giorato
https://link.medium.com/PUz88PIql3

What impression  would you have  ?

Posted by Zahid Rahman <za...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the tip!