Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "r. r." <ro...@abv.bg> on 2017/09/29 15:10:47 UTC

state of parallel jobs when one task fails

Hello
I have a simple job with a single map() processing which I want to run with many documents in parallel in Flink.
What will happen if one of the 'instances' of the job fails?

This statement in Flink docs confuses me:
"In case of failures, a job switches first to failing where it cancels all running tasks".
So if I have 10 documents processed in parallel in the job's map() (each in a different task slot, I presume) and one of them fails, does it mean that all the rest will be failed/cancelled as well?

Thanks!

Re: state of parallel jobs when one task fails

Posted by "r. r." <ro...@abv.bg>.
Thanks a lot - wasn't aware of FailoverStrategy

Best regards
Robert

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@data-artisans.com>.
Hi,

Yes, by default Flink will restart all of the tasks. I think that since Flink 1.3, you can configure a FailoverStrategy <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/api/java/org/apache/flink/runtime/executiongraph/failover/FailoverStrategy.html> to change this behavior.

Thanks, Piotrek