Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2018/01/05 13:27:34 UTC

current branches

Hi Andi,

further to the previous email I sent to dev@, here's the detail on the
current branches

*dev/2.0.0-M1*    ... has JDK8, removed deprecations, meta-annotations, j8
time Wicket support, j8 utilities
-  *ISIS-1742-remove-deprecations*   ... some further deprecations I need
to add merge in
-  *ISIS-1740-where-am-i*    ... I need to review this, intend to merge
into M1
-  *dev/2.0.0-M2*           ... All the JEE support stuff
    -  *ISIS-1779-jax-rs-2*   ... your current stuff on fixing up JAX-RS.

Note that dev/2.0.0-M2 is currently rebased on top of M1.  As work
continues on M1, I suggest that M2 is periodically rebased on top of M1.

You can see I've simplified the dev/2.0.0/xxx naming convention, so that
instead dev/2.0.0-Mxx is used to represent the parent branch for the
milestone release.   Going forward, I suggest using a feature branches
based on the dev/2.0.0-Mxx branches (so that no commits are pushed directly
to the dev/2.0.0-Mxx milestone branches).  Feature branches follow our
earlier, simpler, ISIS-nnnn-xxx-xxx convention.

~~~
I also have a suggested way of working to keep the feature branches clean:

- create the feature branch from the milestone branch
- if changes from elsewhere are pushed to the milestone branch, then rebase
on top of these (rather than a simple merge)
- always ensure that the feature branch is rebased on top of its
dev/2.0.0-Mxx parent
- when ready to merge in, rather than doing a git merge --ff-only, do a git
merge --no-ff.

This gives the best of both worlds: all the history of changes is preserved
on the feature branch, but the merge commit back into the parent
effectively squashes all the commits so easy to review the feature branch
in aggregate.

~~~
With respect to the various branches:
- I've moved ISIS-1762 (J8 utils) as resolved, is that ok?
- what's the current state of the JEE stuff - can we mark ISIS-1767 as
resolved?
- what's the state of JAX-RS stuff - looks like there might be some
discussion required on this ticket?

Thanks
Dan