Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr> on 2010/02/16 17:02:51 UTC

Embedded error: Unknown artifact type[xml.zip]

Hi,

One project I'm dealing with is bitten by an issue when assembling EAR artifact in a multi-module build. It seems the EAR plugin try to process a dependency that it should not "see" when building from parent project. The build is ok when building ear module alone.

[INFO] Failed to initialize ear modules
Embedded error: Unknown artifact type[xml.zip]

I've created a short test case to reproduce the issue. The build fail when using Maven 2.2.1 but is successful when using Maven 3.0-alpha-6. Unfortunately the project will not be able to switch until Maven 3 is advertised as "stable".

2 questions:

  - where do you think should I open the JIRA issue? In EAR plugin or Maven core?
  - do you think there is half a chance the bug may be fixed in 2.2.x branch?

Regards,

Julien

Re: Re : Embedded error: Unknown artifact type[xml.zip]

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Indeed. map it to zip and not jar

S.

---
[image: Linkedin] <http://www.linkedin.com/in/snicoll>[image:
Twitter]<http://twitter.com/snicoll>

Posted by Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr>.
Hi Stephane,

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr>.

> >  - where do you think should I open the JIRA issue? In EAR plugin or Maven
> core?
>
> If you think this is a bug in the EAR plugin, then open it there.

In fact I guess it is somewhere in Maven core (something concerning dependency/classpath resolution in reactor build). The fact it works with Maven 3 tends to support this theory. But I would like a confirmation. Perhaps similar bug report already exists.

> >  - do you think there is half a chance the bug may be fixed in 2.2.x branch?
>
> If its simply a bug in a plugin, it seems more likely to be fixed (and
> sooner) than finding and fixing a bunch in 2.2.x.

Yeah, that's what I believe too. I've recently started a thread about the current dilemma in corporate environment: Stable Maven 2 will certainly not receive major fix concerning this kind of bug (Maven 3 was actually written to clean dependency management). On the other hand Maven 3 is still flagged as alpha which prevents adoption in certain corporate projects.

Thanks

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.