Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "Boyd, David (Corporate)" <Da...@adesa.com> on 2011/09/26 21:09:57 UTC

Issues with MyFaces and Clusters

I am having some issues with clustering an application with session
affinity enabled on Websphere Application Server.

We are using:

MyFace 1.1.7

Tomahawk 1.1.5

JDK 1.5

WebSphere 7 - Fix Pack 13

I am wondering if this is a known issue with this version of My Faces.

What appears to be happening is that in the application, when a session
object is accesses and the data is changed, the change event is not
being triggered and therefore the change is not being pushed out to all
the servers in the cluster.

It looks like this version of my faces is accessing the session object
via the getter but, it is making a change to the reference and therefore
not calling the setter method.

Looking for some confirmation on this issue or possible a configuration
that needs to be done.

Thanks

Re: Issues with MyFaces and Clusters

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
For me it always worked pretty well to do 'read-only replication'. I've no idea if there is an established term for it, but here is what I do:

1.) we use sticky sessions in our load balancer. Each user defaults back to his node. If the node is not available for 40 seconds, then he gets moved to a different node

2.) after each request we replicate the session over to our memcached instance. But we do not evict the session from the current node! So it usually just gets backed-up but never restored.

3.) If a node fails, we have a listener which tries to restore the session from the memcached.

memcached of course might get it's own network segment and stuff.

This does not worsen the response times for users since all the session backup is done after the page got rendered already. And since we mainly rely on session-affinity the memcachd session retrieval only takes place if a node goes down.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Rohit Kelapure <ke...@gmail.com>.
David,

Posted by Rohit Kelapure <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for pointing it out.  I will investigate ...

--Thanks,
Rohit

Posted by "Boyd, David (Corporate)" <Da...@adesa.com>.
Looking at the code that is referenced by the link below I see the following:

    private HttpSession getSession()
    {
        return _httpRequest.getSession(false);
    }

Now based on this understanding:

When you say getSession(true), this method will check whether already a session is existing for the user. If a session is existing, it will return that session object, OTHERWISE WILL CREATE A SESSION OBJECT EXPLICITLY AND RETURN TO THE CLIENT. When you say getSession(false), this method will check whether a session is existing. If yes, then it returns the reference of that session object, OTHERWISE IT WILL RETURN 'null'.

So the above code can return a null for the session - I am not sure what the original intent of the method is as I do not see any JavaDocs with it.

Session Manage is handled by JSF, so I assume then that the SessionMap class is part of the Session Manage process of JSF.

It would appear that the JSF library is making a call to set the attribute on a session, therefore it should trigger the session replication correctly.

The issue then could be is that the session size is so large that it does not have the ability to complete the task in the event of a user moving to a different IP address.

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Rohit Kelapure <ke...@gmail.com>.
Leonardo,

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Actually Dave, I would follow Rohit's suggestion.

Leonardo, that's appears to be the state saving code.  I think,
essentially, the issue is that when objects are modified, they need to
be set on the session again so that the container knows to
re-serialize them for failover.

AFAIK, there is no known failover issue with websphere provided these
attributes are re-set when the object is modified.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Rohit Kelapure <ke...@gmail.com>.