Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/01/21 19:59:55 UTC

What rights are given in an SGA

Since this has come up recently, I'd like to point you all to a recent
thread on the legal-discuss list:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201301.mbox/browser

If you are not familiar with the SGA form, you can see it here:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

As you can see, it is a combined Corporate CLA and Software Grant
Agreement.  Notice it does not speak of the Apache License, but it
does offer its own copyright and patent license.

The license portion in question was this:

"Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions
      of this Agreement, You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
      recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual,
      worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
      copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
      publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute
      Your Contributions and such derivative works."

The question was:  What does "software distributed by the Foundation"
mean?  Does that mean only releases?  Code in SVN?  What exactly?

As you can read in the archives, the response was that stuff in SVN is
considered "distributed by the Foundation", so the license of the SGA
applies to contributions made under SGA and checked into Subversion.

But note also Roy's later clarifying response:

"The dev subversion repo is not a means of distributing to the
"general public".  It distributes to our self-selected development
teams that are expected to be aware of the state of the code being
distributed.

When we distribute to the "general public", it is called a release."

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201301.mbox/browser

That was the basis for the DISCLAIMER I put in the root of our
Subversion a couple of days ago:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/DISCLAIMER

I don't think this is anything new.  We already know that code that
we're releasing requires careful review and verification of file
headers, LICENSE and NOTICE files, etc.  That is part of what it means
to publish a release at Apache.  But we have other stuff in Subversion
that we do not intend to include in a release, and for which we do not
make this effort.  For example, /devtools, /ooo-site and /symphony.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: What rights are given in an SGA

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Am Dienstag, 22. Januar 2013 um 04:41 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Jan 21, 2013, at 6:49 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> > Heck, I'll do one better. I volunteer to run a RAT scan on the trunk
> > every two weeks and remove any IBM headers that are found there. So
> > we'll never be more then two weeks behind.
> >
> > If you recall, the project worked on the trunk for AOO 3.4.0 for
> > nearly 6 months before all of the headers were cleaned up, and I don't
> > recall hearing you complain that this was an unacceptable risk. We
> > trusted Oracle, via Andrew, to do the right thing. So I'll do better
> > than that by a factor of 6*4/2 = 12. So 12x faster header cleanups
> > than occurred with AOO 3.4.
> >
> > Does that satisfy your concern?
>
> Yes, I think that allows for any committer to scratch an itch. Please publish a note on dev since it might spark the interest of other devs
>
> Will you practice your rat fu on the Symphony branch? (maybe you have already?)
we ran a Rat scan on the build bots regularly, no need to do it manually. Simply check  the output as I did from time to time.

I think it make no sense to run it on the Symphony branch where we know that many files contain the old headers.

And I don't know how often we have now offered to help any individual who really want to start working with files and is interested to merge stuff in trunk. Interested to do some real work!

If we would see huge activities from volunteers to merge stuff in trunk we might invest further time to change the headers in advance to reduce potential overhead. But even this is hypothetical at the moment and I see no single volunteer working on any migration.

We (IBM contributors) continue to invest our time in working on trunk towards 4.0 and will continue to merge stuff like the sidebar during this work.

So please either start to work on or with the code and merge it in trunk and ask for detailed help with file x or let us simply continue with the ongoing work. We have enough to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juergen

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2013, at 6:49 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> I volunteer to run a RAT scan on the trunk
>> every two weeks and remove any IBM headers that are found there.  So
>> we'll never be more then two weeks behind.
> Yes, I think that allows for any committer to scratch an itch.

OK, great to see we have an agreement here. So, while it's clear that
the former Symphony team will know better than others how to handle the
Symphony code, now any committer can help. (I know this was already the
case, but it's good to have it addressed explicitly).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: What rights are given in an SGA

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 01/21/2013 10:59 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> Since this has come up recently, I'd like to point you all to a recent
> thread on the legal-discuss list:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201301.mbox/browser
>
> If you are not familiar with the SGA form, you can see it here:
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
>
> As you can see, it is a combined Corporate CLA and Software Grant
> Agreement.  Notice it does not speak of the Apache License, but it
> does offer its own copyright and patent license.
>
> The license portion in question was this:
>
> "Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions
>        of this Agreement, You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
>        recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual,
>        worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
>        copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
>        publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute
>        Your Contributions and such derivative works."
>
> The question was:  What does "software distributed by the Foundation"
> mean?  Does that mean only releases?  Code in SVN?  What exactly?
>
> As you can read in the archives, the response was that stuff in SVN is
> considered "distributed by the Foundation", so the license of the SGA
> applies to contributions made under SGA and checked into Subversion.
>
> But note also Roy's later clarifying response:
>
> "The dev subversion repo is not a means of distributing to the
> "general public".  It distributes to our self-selected development
> teams that are expected to be aware of the state of the code being
> distributed.
>
> When we distribute to the "general public", it is called a release."
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201301.mbox/browser
>
> That was the basis for the DISCLAIMER I put in the root of our
> Subversion a couple of days ago:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/DISCLAIMER
>
> I don't think this is anything new.  We already know that code that
> we're releasing requires careful review and verification of file
> headers, LICENSE and NOTICE files, etc.  That is part of what it means
> to publish a release at Apache.  But we have other stuff in Subversion
> that we do not intend to include in a release, and for which we do not
> make this effort.  For example, /devtools, /ooo-site and /symphony.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Thanks for posting this. I think it does clarify some
issues/conversations of late.

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                  -- Aesop