Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/20 06:11:40 UTC

jhighlight-1.0 contains LGPL-only files

Hi

Solr's contrib/extraction contains jhighlight-1.0.jar which declares itself
as dual CDDL or LGPL license. However, some of its classes are distributed
only under LGPL, e.g.

com.uwyn.jhighlight.highlighter.
  CppHighlighter.java
  GroovyHighlighter.java
  JavaHighlighter.java
  XmlHighlighter.java

I downloaded the sources from Maven (
http://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=com/uwyn/jhighlight/1.0/jhighlight-1.0-sources.jar)
to confirm that, and also found this SVN repo:
http://svn.rifers.org/jhighlight/tags/release-1.0, though the project's
website seems to not exist anymore (https://jhighlight.dev.java.net/).

I didn't find any direct usage of it in our code, so I guess it's probably
needed by a 3rd party dependency, such as Tika. Therefore if we e.g. omit
it, things will compile, but may fail at runtime.

Is it OK that we distribute this .jar?

Shai

Re: jhighlight-1.0 contains LGPL-only files

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I've been monitoring that issue. So once TIKA-1581 is resolved we can
upgrade to the newer Tika version together with the proper jhighlight
package. If that happens before 5.1 is out, all the better.

Shai

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
OK I opened SOLR-7317.