Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Daniel Toffetti <dt...@yahoo.com.ar> on 2008/07/22 04:44:56 UTC

Advice about tools

Hi !

    I would like to know if it's possible to do what I'm trying to do, and what would be the best tools to do that.
    Here is it: I want to load an XML Schema Definition into a TreeModel to display it in a user interface. The user should be able to interact with that interface to add and edit data, and then save the edited data as an XML Instance document.
    In other words, I want the user to be presented with the full Schema in the form of a tree template, where he can add data as needed and save instances.
    I will have to use some knowledge of the specific Schemas, for example for adding localized labels or some custom item editing features, but other than that, I want this to be as automatic as possible, I mean, if possible, I don't want to build the TreeModel by hand using knowledge of the specific XSD.

    Is this possible using available standards / libraries ??

Cheers,

Daniel

¡Buscá desde tu celular!

Yahoo! oneSEARCH ahora está en Claro

http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/onesearch

Re: Advice about tools

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,
Yep, It's possible, and has been done by a couple of XML Editing tools
already. While I haven't tried dev'ing this usage scenario myself, I
don't see anything preventing you from using XMLBeans to do so.
-jacobd

RE: Advice about tools

Posted by Eric Murphy <er...@shaw.ca>.
Daniel –

An XML document is a tree model for data. Look at XML Beans XmlCursor
documentation:

http://xmlbeans.apache.org/docs/2.2.0/reference/index.html

You have full access to the nodes of the tree through XmlCursor.getDomNode.
This allows you to find all the children as well as parents of a node. In
addition you can use xPath to query your document to aid in navigation and
updating of elements. There are other ways to navigate the document as well
(XmlCursor is very useful). The full schema is defined and available through
the XML objects XML Beans creates. You can make your tool entirely generic
(able to handle any XML document).

Eric

  _____