Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Csom Gyula <Cs...@interface.hu> on 2000/04/12 08:08:41 UTC

Re: Tomcat on Linux SuSE 6.3 (now works)

Finally I could fix installation problems - by checking apache's
error log. See details below...
- - -
The followig configuration works with Tomcat3.1_beta_1:

	Linux SuSE6.3 / Apache1.3.9 (with DSO) / Sun JDK1.2.2
- - -
Details:

[Download]
	Since SuSE doesn't seem to cooperate with the prebuilt mod_jserv.so
	one should download src files also and make the .so manually.
	Just for simplicity call jakarta_src_install/jakarta_bin_install the
src/bin
	directories. For this example tomcat's src/bin files are in
		jakarta_src_install/jakarta-tomcat
	and
		jakarta_bin_install/jakarta-tomcat

[Config]

> 1. Append the following line to httpd.conf in order to include
> tomcat.conf file:
> 	Include jakarta_bin_install/jakarta-tomcat/conf/tomcat.conf
>
> 2. Build mod_jserv with apxs as Gal Shachor proposed in his e-mail
> (http://www.metronet.com/~wjm/tomcat/FromFeb11/msg00868.html) eg.:
> 	apxs -c *.c -o mod_jserv.so
> in Tomcat src directory:
> 	jakarta_src_install/jakarta-tomcat/src/native/apache/jserv
>
> 3. Copy the .so file to apache libexec (in SuSE 6.3 it's
> /usr/lib/apache) and editing tomcat.conf to point to this file:
> 	LoadModule jserv_module /usr/lib/apache/mod_jserv.so

	4. Create the log directory at /usr/local/httpd and the log file:
		cd /usr/local/httpd
		mkdir logs
		touch mod_jserv.log
	This was the step which was missing from the previous attempt...

	The problem is that SuSE generally uses the /var/log directory for
	log files and /usr/local/httpd/logs doesn't exist (?) by default. On
the
	other hand Tomcat seems to use /usr/local/httpd/logs/mod_jserv.log.
	I still donno what is it for and where someone can set the log
directory.

	5. restart apache (rcapache restart) and it should work...

	Just for completeness (I donno how much it counts) all directories
	/files were owned by root...

[Starting Tomcat]
	The following settings worked for me:

	1. setting JAVA_HOME to JDK intsall directory
	2. setting TOMCAT_HOME to tomcat's bin install directory, eg. to

	Then I could successfully start Tomcat either from the bin directory

	(./tomcat.sh start) or via env. vars ($TOMCAT_HOME/bin/tomcat.sh
start)

	Finally the sample jsp-s worked (actually I tried date, and
calendar).

Csomi