Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Joshua Davis <js...@bellatlantic.net> on 2001/01/13 19:54:21 UTC

New task submission: Concatenate

Well... it's not very exciting, but it has been usefull for me and the team
at work.
BTW, Is this the right way (format, etc.) to submit code?  I'm an OpenSource
newbie.

Joshua Davis
joshua_davis@mindspring.com

RE: New task submission: Concatenate

Posted by Joshua Davis <js...@bellatlantic.net>.

I think the ANT-ers are too close to releasing 1.3 to include this... oh
well.

> Personally I'd prefer to
> see the task begin referred to as "concat" or the full "concatenate" since
> "cat" seems a bit abstract and too *nix like for me, but otherwise no real
> complaints.

Yeah, I thought about that too.  I decided on 'cat' because it would be
familiar for those who have made lots of makefiles on UN*X / Linux.  It also
fits well with the 'chgrp' and 'chmod' tasks.

> I've started playing with the code to make it Java 1.1 friendly (done) and
> add some support for ordering the the files in the concatenation - aiming
> for attributes; order="none|name|path|length|date" (i.e. any
> metric I could
> find in the File object!) and ascending="true|false" (work in progress).
> Any thoughts? are thought crimes afoot?

Cool! Post it when UR done.

> One other thought I had was whether ordering functionality should
> be lumped
> in with all filesets so that other tasks could take advantage of
> ordering...
> would this be useful to anyone?

There are a few things I didn't do becuase this would involve changes to the
base code, which I didn't want to do for my first sumission:
- Ordering.
- Applying 'filters' (like copy)... the method that does the token
substitution is not visible. :(

Posted by Rob Oxspring <ro...@yahoo.com>.
What is the opinion on this task? I like it and had begun writing a similar
task before, but then this dropped from the sky!  Personally I'd prefer to