Posted to dev@sentry.apache.org by Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@apache.org> on 2015/05/07 05:08:41 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduating as a top level project

Hi,
   Apache Sentry entered the incubation in August 2013. Since then the
community put out 4 releases from incubation. The project has build a
healthy and diverse community, 7 new committers (affiliated to 4 different
organisations) were added to the project during this period.
I believe the community has demonstrated that Apache Sentry can work as an
independent project. At this point we should move forward to become a top
level project in Apache.

thanks
Prasad

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating as a top level project

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.
+1 to the idea. It would be great if we can outlines the things that we
need to accomplish for the graduation.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
Unclear why private@ is CC'ed? If it's an open conversation, just have
it on dev@ -- it's a little confusing mixing private/public lists like
that.

On Wed, May 6, 2015, at 11:08 PM, Prasad Mujumdar wrote:
> Hi,
>    Apache Sentry entered the incubation in August 2013. Since then the
> community put out 4 releases from incubation. The project has build a
> healthy and diverse community, 7 new committers (affiliated to 4
> different
> organisations) were added to the project during this period.
> I believe the community has demonstrated that Apache Sentry can work as
> an
> independent project. At this point we should move forward to become a top
> level project in Apache.
>
> thanks
> Prasad

Best,

jzb

Posted by Arun Suresh <ar...@gmail.com>.
+1. It is definitely about time.. considering the trove of features thats
gone in as well as the increased maturity and stability.

Posted by Sravya Tirukkovalur <sr...@cloudera.com>.

--
Sravya Tirukkovalur

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating as a top level project

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
I’m strong +1.

Posted by "Sun, Dapeng" <da...@intel.com>.
+1

It's great, I'm agree that we should discuss the graduation now. Some important features in sentry had been widely used, such as HIVE integration and Solr integration, and some significant features are also successful, such as HDFS integration and sqoop integration, we also have sentry HA and generic model to ensure sentry's stability and scalability. More important is that we have a growing community of users and contributors.

Regards
Dapeng

Posted by Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@cloudera.com>.
   Great!   We have 8 +1s and 0 -1s for the project to proceed with
graduation.
I will make another pass at the checklist and start the community vote
thread. Thanks everyone!

thanks
Prasad