Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by "Joy P. Ku" <jo...@stanford.edu> on 2014/07/17 23:24:35 UTC

Running Allura on virtual machines

We are considering migrating our current software forge to Allura but
would very much like to set up the new site with components distributed to
different virtual machines.  In our current site, we run everything off of
one server but find that approach is limiting in terms of flexibility for
maintaining the site (e.g., being able to just take one component like the
wiki off line for updates).  It also means that if one part breaks, the
whole site goes down.  So we'd very much like to migrate to a set-up where
the internal components could be set up on virtual machines.  Is it
possible to get this to work for Allura and maintain performance?  Have
others done this before, and if so, what have their experiences been?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Joy

---

Joy P. Ku, PhD

Director,   <http://simbios.stanford.edu/> Simbios

Director of Communications & Training,  <http://opensim.stanford.edu/>
NCSRR

Stanford University

(w)  650.736.8434, (f)  650.723.7461

Email:   <ma...@stanford.edu> joyku@stanford.edu

Re: Running Allura on virtual machines

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Not really.  In Allura, the tools (wiki, blog, tickets, code browser, etc) are
separate components but the core of allura pulls them together in a sense, so
you can't run them separately.  If you do have to do some maintenance on a tool
(rare in my experience) or a tool is having an error, those generally do not
"spill over" and affect other tools, so even though they all run together if one
is down for a reason, the rest should be accessible.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Hi Joy,