Posted to general@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2007/11/12 14:07:05 UTC

Chair election - Proposed Voting System

All,

On 07/11/2007, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:

> >> - Ranked preferences[1], I'm a fan of ranked voting but I guess they are
> >> not part of the ASF history.

if more than two candidates are presented, I'm intending to attempt to
run the Supplementary vote system.

Does anyone object?

In this system each voter selects their preferred candidate and one alternative.
In the event that no candidate polls more than 50% of the votes cast
the secondary votes cast by people who did not vote for either of the
top two cadidates are counted as well.

This seems to me to be a simple enough system to administer and
understand, but also to meet Stefano's reasonable request for a fairer
voting system, but what do you think?

d.

Re: Chair election - Proposed Voting System

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
FYI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

Supplimentary vote is a special case in that voters only rank their
first and second choice.

d.