Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Manolo Gómez <mg...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/23 18:04:02 UTC

Questions about PSML files and layouts

Hi all,

I am quite new with Jetspeed and I am having some problems in this
init phase, and eventhough I read a lot of documentation, installed
and used JPortal (tutorial)  and I searched through this mailing list,
I haven't found anything useful, so I hope someone could help me (at
least, a little).

Well, I have installed all required components (maven, ant, jetspeed)
succesfully, and I also have build my basic custom portal with maven
jetspeed:genapp goal. I've also deployed it and even customize it a
bit with *.properties.merge files. That's already achieved and there's
no problem with it.

After that, I have the following directory structure:
<my.portal.home>
    project.properties
    project.xml
    src
        java
        test
        webapp
            WEB-INF
                conf (where I put my *properties.merge)
                templates
    target
            [....]
    stage
            [....]

But now, I want to go further and I would like to customize my portal
a bit more. I suppose that I should make all my changes in 'src' dir
(as I have read in Jetspeed doc, so that my configuration doesn't
depends on JetSpeed version), but I don't know exactly where I should
make the required changes. Therefore, I need some help with the
following topics:
1) Define roles and groups (not the default ones).
    -  What files should I change/add?
2) Define default PSML files for them.
    - Where should I put my new default.psml files so that when I
deploy my portal with jetspeed:deploy maven goal they are included in
the .war file?
    - For one on my new roles I need a specific layout. It's a page with 2 tabs.
        * The first one has the following layout:
        ______________________________
        |                                      |            |
        |                                      |            |
        |                                      |            |
        |                                      |            |
        |_____________________ |_______|
        |                        |                          |
        |______________|______________ |
        As you can see, there are two rows, and in each one there are
two columns with different widths (75/25 and 50/50). I know there are
several default controllers, but anyone it's valid for me. Shall I
define my own controller or there is a way to use the default ones (in
this case, could someone write the PSML file here?)
        * On the other hand, the second one it's quite simple (one
simple portlet) so I think that OneColumn controller is enough.

Saludos,
Manolo

Fwd: Questions about PSML files and layouts

Posted by Manolo Gómez <mg...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

While I was waiting for any answer, I've keeped on investigating and
I've found out a few things:
1) To define my own roles:
    - I have to modify Jetspeed Torque schema.
    - It is also necessary a new registry file (local-security.xreg)
into <my.portal.home>/src/webapp/WEB-INF/conf dir in which I define
new security references for those roles.
    - I've also modified JetspeedSecurity.properties.merge in
<my.portal.home>/src/webapp/WEB-INF/conf and added
        services.JetspeedSecurity.system.roles = admin,user,XXXXX,XXXXX

2) I managed to define role based PSML as it's indicated in Jetspeed
documentation. What I have done is:
    - Create new PSML files in <my.portal.home>/src/webapp/WEB-INF/psml/role/
    - Modify JetspeedResources.properties.merge in
<my.portal.home>/src/webapp/WEB-INF/conf and added
        services.Profiler.newuser.template=
        services.Profiler.rolefallback=true

After that, when I execute maven jetspeed:deploy I get all my files
mixed and merged and my portal it's running.

Though, I still have some questions:
a) Once a user is created, its assigned a default role and so a PSML
file which defines its home page layout. But no PSML file it's created
for that user as it used to be before (when it wasn't role based
PSML). Can I mix this two behaviours so that a new user gets a initial
PSML based on a template according to its role(
.../psml/role/USER_ROLE/.../default.psml), but after that if he
modifies it he gets his own PSML file under
.../psml/user/USER_NAME/.../default.psml?

b) I still don't know how to create my desired layout (explained in my
first post: two rows with two colums, with different widths).

c) Can I use another DB to use for authentication? Can I add tables to
the default DB?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

[BTW, i am using Jetspeed 1.6.]

--
Saludos,
Manolo