Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Aldrich <Da...@EMEA.NEC.COM> on 2015/02/24 15:49:19 UTC

Correct way to undo commit of a tag?

Hi

My most recent commit was the creation of a tag.  I want to delete that tag.  Should I reverse merge the commit or simply delete the tag?

If I do a reverse merge I see a tree conflict:

C:\>svn merge -c -69 <my url>
--- Reverse-merging r69 into '.':
   C tags\TAG_<snip>
--- Recording mergeinfo for reverse merge of r69 into '.':
U   .
Tree conflict on 'tags\TAG_<snip>
   > local dir edit, incoming dir delete upon merge
Select: (r) mark resolved, (p) postpone, (q) quit resolution, (h) help:

What is the best thing to do here?

Best regards

David

Re: Correct way to undo commit of a tag?

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 8:49 AM, David Aldrich
<Da...@emea.nec.com> wrote:

> My most recent commit was the creation of a tag.  I want to delete that tag.
> Should I reverse merge the commit or simply delete the tag?

In subversion the usual convention is that tags are never changed
after the copy that creates them. That is, they become human-friendly
names for a single revision. If you are following that convention,
then you should delete the tag if it was not what you intended so you
can reuse that tag name. However, changes tend to be ongoing so you
may want to name your tags with some version numbering scheme - in
which case you might create a newer tag later and ignore earlier
versions. Copies are cheap in subversion and it doesn't hurt to have
extra tags as long as the names are not confusing.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Correct way to undo commit of a tag?

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 9:49 AM, David Aldrich
<Da...@emea.nec.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> My most recent commit was the creation of a tag.  I want to delete that tag.
> Should I reverse merge the commit or simply delete the tag?
>

> If I do a reverse merge I see a tree conflict:
>

> C:\>svn merge -c -69 <my url>
>
> --- Reverse-merging r69 into '.':
>
>    C tags\TAG_<snip>
>
> --- Recording mergeinfo for reverse merge of r69 into '.':
>
> U   .
>
> Tree conflict on 'tags\TAG_<snip>
>
>    > local dir edit, incoming dir delete upon merge
>
> Select: (r) mark resolved, (p) postpone, (q) quit resolution, (h) help:
>

> What is the best thing to do here?

Make another tag, whether or not you delete the old one, to avoid
confusion about working, checkout out copies of the tag.

Re: Correct way to undo commit of a tag?

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
David Aldrich wrote:

>My most recent commit was the creation of a tag.  I want to delete
>that tag.  Should I reverse merge the commit or simply delete the tag?

If want to completely remove the tag, not only parts of it, a "svn rm"
is the best match.
It's also less effort because to can delete the tag directly in the
repository without the need for a working copy, because ...

>If I do a reverse merge I see a tree conflict:
>
>C:\>svn merge -c -69 <my url>
>--- Reverse-merging r69 into '.':
>   C tags\TAG_<snip>
>--- Recording mergeinfo for reverse merge of r69 into '.':
>U   .
>Tree conflict on 'tags\TAG_<snip>
>   > local dir edit, incoming dir delete upon merge
>Select: (r) mark resolved, (p) postpone, (q) quit resolution, (h) help:

... for a reverse merge of the tag creation you would need to do the
merge on a working copy of the parent folder of the tag.
--

Lorenz