Posted to user@spark.apache.org by agg212 <al...@brown.edu> on 2019/07/10 14:57:53 UTC

Problems running TPC-H on Raspberry Pi Cluster

We are trying to benchmark TPC-H (scale factor 1) on a 13-node Raspberry Pi
3B+ cluster (1 master, 12 workers). Each node has 1GB of RAM and a quad-core
processor, running Ubuntu Server 18.04. The cluster is using the Spark
standalone scheduler with the *.tbl files from TPCH’s dbgen tool stored in
HDFS.

We are experiencing several failures when trying to run queries. Jobs fail
unpredictably, usually with one or many “DEAD/LOST” nodes displaying in the
web UI. It appears that one or more nodes “hang” during query execution and
become unreachable/timeout.

We have included our configuration parameters as well as the driver program
below. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Driver:

Re: Problems running TPC-H on Raspberry Pi Cluster

Posted by agg212 <al...@brown.edu>.
Good to know. Will look into the Raspberry Pi 4 (w/4GB RAM).

In general, are there any tuning or configuration tips/tricks for very
memory-constrained deployments (e.g., 1-4GB RAM)?

Re: Problems running TPC-H on Raspberry Pi Cluster

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
I don't think Spark is meant to run with 1GB of memory on the entire system. The JVM loads almost 200MB of bytecode, and each page during query processing takes a min of 64MB.

Maybe on the 4GB model of raspberry pi 4.