Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jeff Chen <jc...@attbi.com> on 2002/08/28 19:53:00 UTC

modperl 1.27 blues

Hi, I recently ran into a problem which has puzzled me about Perl
compilation and installation.  I would appreciate some help in
understanding this.

I run Redhat 7.2, which comes with perl-5.6.0-17.  I was able to
compile and install 5.6.1 and 5.8.0 all seemingly without problems.
However, I ran into problems when I tried to get mod_perl 1.27 working
on my machine.  It compiles but does not pass the tainting test when I
use either the 5.6.1 or 5.8.0 that I compiled and installed myself.
When I revert back to using 5.6.0, I am able to pass the mod_perl self
tests.

I would like to use a more current perl than 5.6.0.  But try as I
might, I keep getting stuck on failing the tainting test.  Can someone
explain to me what is happening and help me get past this?  Is this a
simple as file permission problem?  I compile perl as a regular user
and only run "make install" as root.  This is most confusing.

Thanks,
Jeff