Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de> on 2004/06/24 10:51:20 UTC

Tomcat 5 / Jetty 5 (Re: Form editor errors)

Andreas Hartmann wrote (on lenya-user):

> > I find tomcat-5.x significantly better than 4.x.  I recommend
> > upgrading to that.
> >
> Is Tomcat 5 already the current stable version?
> If yes, would you like to make a proposal to switch on lenya-dev?

I would suggest sticking with Jetty as the default. One reason is that it seems
to be preferred by Apache Geronimo as their servlet engine. See
http://geronimo.apache.org/ If a switch is discussed it should be a choice
between Tomcat 5 and Jetty 5.

That does not preclude supporting Tomcat as an alternative.

Andreas

BTW: Jetty 5.0.0 will be released Real Soon Now (perhaps before Lenya 1.2 ;-).
See http://jetty.mortbay.com/

Re: Tomcat 5 / Jetty 5 (Re: Form editor errors)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>

>> But if we nevertheless keep on supporting Tomcat, we could
>> consider supporting 5.0.* instead of 4.1.* (which would require
>> a small change in build.properties).
>

> one just needs to reset
>
> tomcat.home.dir=/usr/local/tomcat
>
> and
>
> tomcat.cache.dir=${tomcat.home.dir}/work/Standalone/localhost/lenya

In 5.0.*, this is

tomcat.cache.dir=${tomcat.home.dir}/work/Catalina/localhost/lenya

-- Andreas

Re: Tomcat 5 / Jetty 5 (Re: Form editor errors)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>

>>>But if we nevertheless keep on supporting Tomcat, we could
>>>consider supporting 5.0.* instead of 4.1.* (which would require
>>>a small change in build.properties).
>>>

>>one just needs to reset
>>
>>tomcat.home.dir=/usr/local/tomcat
>>
>>and
>>
>>tomcat.cache.dir=${tomcat.home.dir}/work/Standalone/localhost/lenya
>>

>That's about it.  We also need to update the install docs.

I have added a comment to build.properties.sample

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Tomcat 5 / Jetty 5 (Re: Form editor errors)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
> > But if we nevertheless keep on supporting Tomcat, we could
> > consider supporting 5.0.* instead of 4.1.* (which would require
> > a small change in build.properties).
>
> one just needs to reset
>
> tomcat.home.dir=/usr/local/tomcat
>
> and
>
> tomcat.cache.dir=${tomcat.home.dir}/work/Standalone/localhost/lenya

That's about it.  We also need to update the install docs.

--
JP

Re: Tomcat 5 / Jetty 5 (Re: Form editor errors)

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> But if we nevertheless keep on supporting Tomcat, we could
> consider supporting 5.0.* instead of 4.1.* (which would require
> a small change in build.properties).

one just needs to reset

tomcat.home.dir=/usr/local/tomcat

and

tomcat.cache.dir=${tomcat.home.dir}/work/Standalone/localhost/lenya

;-)

Michi

> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Tomcat 5 / Jetty 5 (Re: Form editor errors)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> But if we nevertheless keep on supporting Tomcat, we could
> consider supporting 5.0.* instead of 4.1.* (which would require
> a small change in build.properties).

one just needs to reset

tomcat.home.dir=/usr/local/tomcat

and

tomcat.cache.dir=${tomcat.home.dir}/work/Standalone/localhost/lenya

;-)

Michi

> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Tomcat 5 / Jetty 5 (Re: Form editor errors)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote (on lenya-user):
>

>>>I find tomcat-5.x significantly better than 4.x.  I recommend
>>>upgrading to that.
>>>

>>Is Tomcat 5 already the current stable version?
>>If yes, would you like to make a proposal to switch on lenya-dev?
>

> I would suggest sticking with Jetty as the default.

Sure, I wouldn't recommend anything else.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by to...@gcrud.org.
>> I would suggest sticking with Jetty as the default. One reason is that it
>> seems to be preferred by Apache Geronimo as their servlet engine.

I (and probably others) would like to understand the difference between
Tomcat and Jetty. It seems a bit strange to me if an Apache project
(Geronimo) is heading towards a non-Apache servlet container as their
default.

Will Tomcat become reduncant ... ???

Torsten