Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by ahmet balci <tu...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/29 08:51:03 UTC

Data retrieve

 Hi all,
 I am preparing an ontology file in xml format for a
simulation written in C++. But I dont know how to
retrieve desired data from xml document. The example
programs ( domcount, enumval vice versa ) dont support
my requirements. would you please lead me if there is
any program available for me.
 And secondly, is there any diffrence for my
application between SAX and DOM. I really couldnt
realize the specific distinction between those two.
 Thank in advance.

Re: Data retrieve

Posted by Jorge Pozo Ramirez <j....@externo.mju.es>.
Hi there.

> Hi all,
>  I am preparing an ontology file in xml format for a
> simulation written in C++. But I dont know how to
> retrieve desired data from xml document. The example
> programs ( domcount, enumval vice versa ) dont support
> my requirements. would you please lead me if there is
> any program available for me.
    You have two choices:
      - Write your own C++ code to parse the XML file, and then extract the
data you need, (I suggest using a DOM tree for this), or
      - Use an XPATH application to retrieve data from within the XML file,
as XalanC does.

    DOM are SAX are very different methods for parsing XML files, DOM is
based on node-trees and SAX is event-based. SAX is more complex, but also
far more efficient. Take a peek on
http://www.perfectxml.com/domsax.asp
for basics on DOM and SAX,
Xerces documentation for details about using Xerces DOM and SAX parsers, and
at www.w3.org for further detail on XML parsers.

Jorge