Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2022/07/06 10:32:06 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1

This is the first release of the Tomcat Native 2.0.x branch. The major
differences compared to the 1.2.x branch are:

- JNI API has been reduced to just that required to support Tomcat's
   OpenSSL based TLS implementation. The APR/native connector is no
   longer supported in this branch.

- The minimum supported versions have been increased to OpenSSL 3.0.x,
   Apache APR 1.7.x, Java 11, Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2

- The windows binaries in this release have been built with OpenSSL
   3.0.5

The 2.0.x branch is primarily intended for use with Tomcat 10.1.x but
can be used with earlier versions as long as the APR/native connector is
not used.

The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
and the build was done using tag [2].

The Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1 release is
  [ ] Stable, go ahead and release
  [ ] Broken because of ...

Thanks,

Mark

[1]
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/2.0.1
[2]
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=tomcat-native.git;a=commit;h=1703058911e28b54a71a914c0c6f3de570579d73

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 12:32 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is the first release of the Tomcat Native 2.0.x branch. The major
> differences compared to the 1.2.x branch are:
>
> - JNI API has been reduced to just that required to support Tomcat's
>    OpenSSL based TLS implementation. The APR/native connector is no
>    longer supported in this branch.
>
> - The minimum supported versions have been increased to OpenSSL 3.0.x,
>    Apache APR 1.7.x, Java 11, Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2
>
> - The windows binaries in this release have been built with OpenSSL
>    3.0.5
>
> The 2.0.x branch is primarily intended for use with Tomcat 10.1.x but
> can be used with earlier versions as long as the APR/native connector is
> not used.
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1 release is
>   [X] Stable, go ahead and release
>   [ ] Broken because of ...

Remy

Posted by Han Li <ao...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 6:32 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is the first release of the Tomcat Native 2.0.x branch. The major
> differences compared to the 1.2.x branch are:
>
> - JNI API has been reduced to just that required to support Tomcat's
>    OpenSSL based TLS implementation. The APR/native connector is no
>    longer supported in this branch.
>
> - The minimum supported versions have been increased to OpenSSL 3.0.x,
>    Apache APR 1.7.x, Java 11, Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2
>
> - The windows binaries in this release have been built with OpenSSL
>    3.0.5
>
> The 2.0.x branch is primarily intended for use with Tomcat 10.1.x but
> can be used with earlier versions as long as the APR/native connector is
> not used.
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1 release is
>   [x] Stable, go ahead and release
>   [ ] Broken because of ...

+1 on Fedora 36

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 15/07/2022 10:31, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Sorry for being late to the game and the following is not a show stopper:
>
> I finally had the chance of running the unit tests with 2.0.1. I also
> used it for TC 9 and 10, although I know the primary target is 10.1. But
> the docs for tcnative 2 do not indicate it is only for 10.1.
>
> I got the following errors probably expected:
>
> org.apache.tomcat.jni.TestFile FAILED
> org.apache.tomcat.jni.TestSocketServer FAILED
> org.apache.tomcat.jni.TestSocketServerAnyLocalAddress FAILED
> org.apache.tomcat.jni.TestUnixDomainSocketServer FAILED
>
> All of the are java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError, the missing
> classes/methods are:
>
> org.apache.tomcat.jni.Address.info(Ljava/lang/String;IIIJ)J
> and in TestFile
> org.apache.tomcat.jni.File.open(Ljava/lang/String;IIJ)J
>
> I don't have a good idea how to mention/document, that a few unit tests
> fail though in general using the version should work also for TC 9 and
> 10. Maybe there's a good way of skipping these tests in case of tcnative 2?

A JUnit assert that Library.TCN_MAJOR_VERSION is 1 (rather than 2)
should do the trick and skip those tests when running with Tomcat Native 2.

Mark

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1: remm, markt, mturk, csutherl

Non-binding:
+1: Han Li

No other votes were cast.

The vote therefore passes.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this release.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

On 06/07/2022 12:32, Mark Thomas wrote:
> This is the first release of the Tomcat Native 2.0.x branch. The major
> differences compared to the 1.2.x branch are:
>
> - JNI API has been reduced to just that required to support Tomcat's
>    OpenSSL based TLS implementation. The APR/native connector is no
>    longer supported in this branch.
>
> - The minimum supported versions have been increased to OpenSSL 3.0.x,
>    Apache APR 1.7.x, Java 11, Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2
>
> - The windows binaries in this release have been built with OpenSSL
>    3.0.5
>
> The 2.0.x branch is primarily intended for use with Tomcat 10.1.x but
> can be used with earlier versions as long as the APR/native connector is
> not used.
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1 release is
>   [x] Stable, go ahead and release
>   [ ] Broken because of ...

Tested on win server 2019 and 2022.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/07/2022 11:32, Mark Thomas wrote:
> This is the first release of the Tomcat Native 2.0.x branch. The major
> differences compared to the 1.2.x branch are:
>
> - JNI API has been reduced to just that required to support Tomcat's
>    OpenSSL based TLS implementation. The APR/native connector is no
>    longer supported in this branch.
>
> - The minimum supported versions have been increased to OpenSSL 3.0.x,
>    Apache APR 1.7.x, Java 11, Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2
>
> - The windows binaries in this release have been built with OpenSSL
>    3.0.5
>
> The 2.0.x branch is primarily intended for use with Tomcat 10.1.x but
> can be used with earlier versions as long as the APR/native connector is
> not used.
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1 release is
>   [X] Stable, go ahead and release
>   [ ] Broken because of ...

Linux   - 10.1.x - OpenSSL 3.0.5
Linux   - 10.1.x - OpenSSL 3.1.x
Windows - 10.1.x - OpenSSL 3.0.5

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 2.0.1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Ping. We need one more PMC vote for the release.

Mark