Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2004/10/25 05:30:14 UTC

kupu / bxe are now part of the checkout

i used the svn:externals feature

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch07s03.html

to automatically check out kupu / bxe when you check out lenya.
the following list specifies the versions of kupu / bxe that get checked
out into lenya/resources:

1.2.x branch
============
kupu    -> kupu-1.1 branch
bxe     -> not checked out *)

trunk
=====
kupu    -> kupu-trunk
bxe     -> bxe-trunk

*) since the repository is called bxe and 1.2 expects bxeng, i waited
with changing all occurences of bxeng to bxe. we can do this change if
the community wants it.

i changed all occurences of bxeng to bxe in the trunk to accomodate the
fact that the bxe repository is just called bxe.

this should make installs from source easier as kupu (and bxe
eventually) will already be installed. linking to the respective kupu
and bxe trunks on lenya trunk will also help us to catch integration
issues early.

roku let me know if kupu 1.1 is fine for the lenya 1.2 branch. it is
easy to change to 1.0 or another version.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                          http://lenya.apache.org

Re: kupu / bxe are now part of the checkout

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 05:30, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> i used the svn:externals feature
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch07s03.html
>
> to automatically check out kupu / bxe when you check out lenya.
> the following list specifies the versions of kupu / bxe that get checked
> out into lenya/resources:
>
> 1.2.x branch
> ============
> kupu    -> kupu-1.1 branch
> bxe     -> not checked out *)
>
> trunk
> =====
> kupu    -> kupu-trunk
> bxe     -> bxe-trunk
>
> *) since the repository is called bxe and 1.2 expects bxeng, i waited
> with changing all occurences of bxeng to bxe. we can do this change if
> the community wants it.

+1, shouldn't be that harmful. And we have time....

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: kupu / bxe are now part of the checkout

Posted by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch>.

On 27.10.2004 7:24 Uhr, Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 22:06, Christian Stocker wrote:

>>>you are right. i just realized that my reason for not including bxe in
>>>1.2 can be solved by adding
>>>
>>>bxeng http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/bxe/tags/BXE_0_9_5/ to svn:externals
>>>for lenya/resources
>>
>>argh, your forcing me to actually release 0.9.6 ;) 0.9.5 is ways
>>ooooold. But actually, you really could just link to the stable branch
>>(.../branches/bxe_1_0/), it should stay stable, but always contain the
>>latest bugfix. you decide ;)
>

> I'm not forcing you to anything. I just wanted to ask which makes most
> sense. If you say the 1.0 branch then we use it :)

Ok, I was thinking about it and took Gregor's opinion into consideration
and came to the conclusion, that you should link to

http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/bxe/branches/bxe_1_0/

(for the time beeing in the trunk as well as in the 1.2 branch, since my
trunk will undergo some changes in the near future and might not be
super stable)

The reason for that is, that if someone downloads your 1.2 branch via
svn you don't know anyway, which lenya version he's using, so it doesn't
matter that much if you don't know the exact version of bxe ;)

And my 1_0 branch will only get little bugfixes from now on, but it's
always a good idea to get some more testers for that anyway.

If you release 1.2.x, then it might be a good idea to include a released
BXE just for that and if you ask kind enough, I can release a version
(if there are enough worthy bugfixes) of bxe in the same time.

Just my 2 cents ;)

chregu

Re: kupu / bxe are now part of the checkout

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 22:06, Christian Stocker wrote:
> On 26.10.2004 19:14 Uhr, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> > Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> >
> >> Wouldn't it make sense to use latest from
> >> http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/bxe/tags since we are going to release bxe
> >> with Lenya 1.2.1 ??
> >

> > you are right. i just realized that my reason for not including bxe in
> > 1.2 can be solved by adding
> >
> > bxeng http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/bxe/tags/BXE_0_9_5/ to svn:externals
> > for lenya/resources
>
> argh, your forcing me to actually release 0.9.6 ;) 0.9.5 is ways
> ooooold. But actually, you really could just link to the stable branch
> (.../branches/bxe_1_0/), it should stay stable, but always contain the
> latest bugfix. you decide ;)

I'm not forcing you to anything. I just wanted to ask which makes most
sense. If you say the 1.0 branch then we use it :)

> I'll try to do it tomorrow (the release of 0.9.6)

Mhh, you decide.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: kupu / bxe are now part of the checkout

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Christian Stocker wrote:

> argh, your forcing me to actually release 0.9.6 ;) 0.9.5 is ways
> ooooold. But actually, you really could just link to the stable branch
> (.../branches/bxe_1_0/), it should stay stable, but always contain the
> latest bugfix. you decide ;)
>
> I'll try to do it tomorrow (the release of 0.9.6)

the problem with linking against the branch is that we would get
different results if someone installed bxe from bxe.oscom.org

+1 on 0.9.6

Posted by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch>.

On 26.10.2004 19:14 Uhr, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it make sense to use latest from
>> http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/bxe/tags since we are going to release bxe
>> with Lenya 1.2.1 ??
>

> you are right. i just realized that my reason for not including bxe in
> 1.2 can be solved by adding
>
> bxeng http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/bxe/tags/BXE_0_9_5/ to svn:externals
> for lenya/resources

argh, your forcing me to actually release 0.9.6 ;) 0.9.5 is ways
ooooold. But actually, you really could just link to the stable branch
(.../branches/bxe_1_0/), it should stay stable, but always contain the
latest bugfix. you decide ;)

I'll try to do it tomorrow (the release of 0.9.6)

chregu

--
christian stocker | Bitflux GmbH | schoeneggstrasse 5 | ch-8004 zurich
phone +41 1 240 56 70 | mobile +41 76 561 88 60  | fax +41 1 240 56 71

Re: kupu / bxe are now part of the checkout

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 19:14, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't it make sense to use latest from
> > http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/bxe/tags since we are going to release bxe
> > with Lenya 1.2.1 ??
>
> you are right. i just realized that my reason for not including bxe in
> 1.2 can be solved by adding
>
> bxeng http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/bxe/tags/BXE_0_9_5/ to svn:externals
> for lenya/resources

Gregor, I already added the props yesterday to our svn repo in trunk and
1.2.x. A clean checkout should show that.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: kupu / bxe are now part of the checkout

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> Wouldn't it make sense to use latest from
> http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/bxe/tags since we are going to release bxe
> with Lenya 1.2.1 ??

you are right. i just realized that my reason for not including bxe in
1.2 can be solved by adding

bxeng http://svn.bitflux.ch/repos/bxe/tags/BXE_0_9_5/ to svn:externals
for lenya/resources

gee i love svn, it makes things so easy.

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch>.
Hi

On 25.10.2004 5:30 Uhr, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> i used the svn:externals feature
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch07s03.html
>
> to automatically check out kupu / bxe when you check out lenya.
> the following list specifies the versions of kupu / bxe that get checked
> out into lenya/resources:
>
> 1.2.x branch
> ============
> kupu    -> kupu-1.1 branch
> bxe     -> not checked out *)
>
> trunk
> =====
> kupu    -> kupu-trunk
> bxe     -> bxe-trunk

Cool.

Posted by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch>.
Hi

On 25.10.2004 5:30 Uhr, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> i used the svn:externals feature
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch07s03.html
>
> to automatically check out kupu / bxe when you check out lenya.
> the following list specifies the versions of kupu / bxe that get checked
> out into lenya/resources:
>
> 1.2.x branch
> ============
> kupu    -> kupu-1.1 branch
> bxe     -> not checked out *)
>
> trunk
> =====
> kupu    -> kupu-trunk
> bxe     -> bxe-trunk

Cool.

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 08:12, Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 05:30, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> > i used the svn:externals feature
> >
> > http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch07s03.html
> >
> > to automatically check out kupu / bxe when you check out lenya.
> > the following list specifies the versions of kupu / bxe that get checked
> > out into lenya/resources:

In order to use Kupu, one needs to invoke make in the Kupu source dir.
Dunno if you wanna mention it in the doc. Maybe we can invoke it via the
Lenya build.

WDYT?

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: kupu / bxe are now part of the checkout

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 05:30, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> i used the svn:externals feature
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch07s03.html
>
> to automatically check out kupu / bxe when you check out lenya.
> the following list specifies the versions of kupu / bxe that get checked
> out into lenya/resources:
>
> 1.2.x branch
> ============
> kupu    -> kupu-1.1 branch
> bxe     -> not checked out *)
>
> trunk
> =====
> kupu    -> kupu-trunk
> bxe     -> bxe-trunk
>
> *) since the repository is called bxe and 1.2 expects bxeng, i waited
> with changing all occurences of bxeng to bxe. we can do this change if
> the community wants it.
>
> i changed all occurences of bxeng to bxe in the trunk to accomodate the
> fact that the bxe repository is just called bxe.
>
> this should make installs from source easier as kupu (and bxe
> eventually) will already be installed. linking to the respective kupu
> and bxe trunks on lenya trunk will also help us to catch integration
> issues early.
>
> roku let me know if kupu 1.1 is fine for the lenya 1.2 branch. it is
> easy to change to 1.0 or another version.

Kupu-1.1 will be fine this week. I currently worked on kupu trunk, but I
merge it 1.1 since we will make 1.1.1 release soon.
I need to test the stuff again. There are some small issues.

Thanks Gregor for all the work.

--
Rolf Kulemann