Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com> on 2005/12/01 18:49:15 UTC

Host Manager Questions

I'm trying to use the host manager to deploy new hosts, and when I try to do
so I get this error message:

FAIL - Couldnt install manager.xml

Does anyone have any idea what is happening? I'm using Tomcat version 5.5.9.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585

RE: Host Manager Questions

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
Since I'm currently running something like 70 some odd virtual hosts on one
tomcat installation I would really rather not have the manager application
deployed on each of those 70 hosts. Each host has only one context (the ROOT
context) and after the virtual host is created, it is seldom if ever
changed.

Its just really ridiculous that the host-manager doesn't serialize the
creation options for the virtual host when it creates it, or that when it
auto-deploys a web application on creation, it doesn't create a context.xml
that points to the auto-deployed context.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/

RE: Host Manager Questions

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
OK, that pointed me in the right direction. The tomcat user did not have
WRITE permissions to the

[enginename] directory.

That now brings up the point that just slays me:

Why in the world does it assume that I want the manager application deployed
to the new host? Who thought that was a good idea?

When I create the new host, it copies manager.xml, and deploys my ROOT
context (which exists in docbase), but doesn't create a ROOT.xml file in the

[enginname]/[hostname]

Directory. Also, it doesn't appear that the host-manager modifies
server.xml, so any aliases or options specified at creation are lost when
the server re-starts.

As it stands, this is pretty useless. It just infuriates me that any time I

Re: Host Manager Questions

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Hello George