Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2016/03/18 15:09:04 UTC

[FALCON] Definitely needs some love ...

Hi,

Well I think one thing we definitely need to work on, is making Falcon and FalconJX a lot more robust. During my work on Mavnizing everything I continuously encounter NullPointerExceptions all over the place. It seems that most of the code seems to currently work if everything is correct, but fail miserably with NullPointers if you are not 100% correct. Guess this will cause a lot of frustration with our users.

Chris

Re: [FALCON] Definitely needs some love ...

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/18/16, 7:09 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>

>Well I think one thing we definitely need to work on, is making Falcon
>and FalconJX a lot more robust. During my work on Mavnizing everything I
>continuously encounter NullPointerExceptions all over the place. It seems
>that most of the code seems to currently work if everything is correct,
>but fail miserably with NullPointers if you are not 100% correct. Guess
>this will cause a lot of frustration with our users.

I'm sure there are still plenty of bugs to be fixed.  We welcome your help
in this regard.  And any other volunteers as well.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [FALCON] Definitely needs some love ...

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
Yes and at the complexity of the transpiler and amount of people that have
actually touched the code, it's all understandable.

When I started that project, I actually used the strategy of unit testing
pretty much every AS statement and expression to produce valid AS, I didn't
even think about JS production in the beginning.

Once the GOOG emitter was started and things got complex, the standard
100's of unit tests I wrote became mute.

IMHO I think th unit tests right now are a mess only due to the fact that
if you realized something was wrong in the impl it might be an actual pain
in the ass to fix it because there is so many things dependent on each
other.

And yeah, there is not a lot of course correction in the logic and it was
brute force from the beginning to get something that actually was close to
working.

Mike

AW: [FALCON] Definitely needs some love ...

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Currently I am trying to get things to work. The problem is that I can't tell what's causing the problems and I keep on setting Exception breakpoints and going up the stack to fin out what's going wrong. It's almost impossible to actually pin down the area of failure ... if I could find out I wouldn't have to dig that deep and that's my main pain in the migration.

Chris

It wasn't my intention to have you try to figure out exactly where and why
the exceptions are being thrown. I was thinking that if you could reliably
reproduce an exception with some ActionScript code, putting that code into
a bug report would be a good enough first step. That provides a foundation
for anyone to investigate further.

Personally, I don't want to poke and prod the compiler with random
malformed code until I find an exception. I'd rather take some existing
code that I know will fail and start with that.

- Josh

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.