Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by srikanth peddireddy <sr...@yahoo.co.in> on 2005/07/14 10:22:09 UTC

out of memory error while load testing

Hi All,

Recently we started load testing our application using Jmeter.
Following error is coming in tomcat while test is run at higher loads like 1500 virtual users etc

        ======================================

SEVERE: Caught exception (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError) executing org.apache.tomca
t.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread@8f3eac, terminating thread
Jun 30, 2005 3:13:53 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable run

          ======================================

I already configured the Tomcat using -Xmx option to use upto 2GB of RAM (Tomcat is running on a 3GB RAM machine)

Any inputs or pointers to the related resources on this problem??

regards
Srikanth

Disclaimer
This e-mail message may contain confidential, proprietary
or legally privileged information. It should not be used by
anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you
have erroneously received this message, please delete it
immediately and notify the sender.

The views, opinions, conclusions and other information
expressed in this electronic mail are those of the
individual sender and not endorsed by SDG Software
Technologies Pvt. Ltd. unless otherwise indicated by an
authorised representative independent of this message.

Before opening any attachment please check them for viruses
and defects. SDG Software Technologies Pvt. Ltd. shall not
accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from
the use of this email or attachment(s).

---------------------------------
 Free antispam, antivirus and 1GB to save all your messages
 Only in Yahoo! Mail: http://in.mail.yahoo.com

Re: out of memory error while load testing

Posted by Bhaskar <bh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
start tomcat with -Xrunprof and look at the profile to figureout if
there are any objects consuming more memory(leaks). Thread.activeCount()
gives you total number of active threads in the current JVM.
Refer to javax.management to know more about the Mbeans to monitor the
tomcat.

You need to write the proxy valve by implementing the
org.apache.catalina.Valve,  interface. This proxy will gets the request
and invokes the actual servlet. You can track the time taken to process
each request here.

Bhaskar

Posted by Peddireddy Srikanth <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bhaskar <bh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
You can change the JVM option, -Xmx to increase the heap size in
catalina.sh and see if it can accomidate more requests

Posted by Peddireddy Srikanth <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bhaskar <bh...@yahoo-inc.com>.