Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/08 21:09:57 UTC

Proposal for a list of modules recommended by the Tapestry team

Hi!

There's an interesting discussion between me and Pieter in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-64. The gist of it is that he
wants portlets support in Tapestry, there's tapestry5-portlets, which is
written by at least two Tapestry committers, but the consensus here is to
not add more modules to the Tapestry project itself due to the time to
support it. His argument, and I kind of agree with him, is that having
tapestry5-portlets in the Tapestry project is a seal of quality for the
portlet support.

I propose a compromise: in the Tapestry documentation site, a page
containing third-party Tapestry and Tapestry-IoC modules which the
Tapestry team recommends due to their proven quality. For example,
tapestry-security is written by Kalle Korhonen, which is both a Tapestry
and Shiro committer. Or tapestry-url-rewriter, written by me and Robert
Zeigler and not in Tapestry itself anymore. For a given module to be
listed there, I suggest that we carry a vote just like we do with new
committers. In addition, we could have a page in the Tapestry
documentation with some documentation.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: Proposal for a list of modules recommended by the Tapestry team

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 20:37:31 -0300, Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>
wrote:

> As much as I hate to say it, just like with the book idea, the Tapestry
> ecosystem isn't big enough
> to have an 'endorsed by' program or any kind of certification.  Wish it
> wasn't so but it is.

It's not about certification. It's about people thinking, for example,
that Tapestry 5 doesn't support portlets even when a third-party module
written by at least one committer already does it. It's just about us
saying something in the lines of "this isn't part of the Tapestry project
itself, but you can trust it because we do and we use it". It would have
just a handful of modules such as tapestry-security, tapestry5-portlets
plus some other ones, specially the ones that are widely used and written
by at least one Tapestry committer. I wouldn't even submit my own
tapestry-rss, tapestry-wymeditor and tapestry-syntax-highlighter to it,
just tapestry-url-rewriter, because it used to be part of Tapestry itself
and has good test coverage. In addition, it's used in production in many
sites I've worked on, both personal projects and work ones.

> For example, let's take CDI support.  There are at least 3
> implementations, with equal quality as far as I know.
> Who is going to be the judge which one gets the stamp of approval?

If all three are good (I haven't used them) and have extensive code
coverage, them all three could get the stamp of approval. The same level
of quality we expect from Tapestry itself would be expected to this
recommended modules.

> PMC?  All committers?  Users of the list?

I've already said what my answer to the question above: a standard Apache
Software Foundation vote, so everybody can give their opinion, but only
the PMC members get binding votes.

> Do you think all three should get approval?
> Do you think people are actually going to take a look at all the
> modules, really take a look at them for quality?

I think people should just approve what they already use. No one would be
forced to review anything. I don't use CDI, so I wouldn't vote on any of
its integrations with Tapestry.

> Thiago, as far as your own modules,  I think you are doing great work,
> and you should put 'Tapestry Committer and PMC member' with your modules.
> (at least I think you are :)
> That should carry more than enough weight with people.

Good idea. :)

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
And I'm happy to make it a community project in whatever way works, such as
adding people as collaborators to the project in GitHub. Just ask.

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 09:24:38 -0300, Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think with maven central and github the parts to start something are
> already here. I'd say start building on that and see where it goes.

Yep. Most Tapestry third-party modules are hosted in Github already.

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alessio Gambi <ag...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.
Here are my thoughts on what a GitHub list would be and how it wold work.

GitHub has a feature called gh-pages. If you have a branch called gh-pages
GitHub will build a website from markdown files. Markdown is a simple
markup language. The idea is any one that wants to add their module creates
ticket asking to be a contributor then creates a documentation page and a
repository link. This would provide a list of 3rd party modules with the
data being maintained by the owner of the  module.

There are no requirements to host your project on Github and in fact there
is a browser interface for doing this so you would not even need git to
participate. Github also allows an organization to own a repository so it's
possible to delegate the responsibilities and owners can come and go.

I also see benefit in having a Tapestry based site like ComponentWorld and
I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. In fact I believe the Github
list could be the backend data store for a site like ComponentWorld because
there is be a description of the module in markdown and there is plenty of
information in a POM file. I also hope other applications would find this
data useful and I'm thinking about how I could use it if I write a
distributed documentation module.

Barry

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
As much as I hate to say it, just like with the book idea, the Tapestry ecosystem isn't big enough
to have an 'endorsed by' program or any kind of certification.  Wish it wasn't so but it is.

For example, let's take CDI support.  There are at least 3 implementations, with equal quality as far as I know.
Who is going to be the judge which one gets the stamp of approval?  PMC?  All committers?  Users of the list?
Do you think all three should get approval?
Do you think people are actually going to take a look at all the modules, really take a look at them for quality?
I really don't see this as sustainable long term.

The problem here is more systemic.  There is not enough cooperation in the Tapestry world.
There are not enough active committers.  Even many 3rd party modules are very duplicative
because their owners want 'their' code 'pure' and not 'contaminate / dump' other's people's
perceived 'inferior' code into their projects.

The solution here is more cooperation and less 'certification'

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
I prefer the idea of a registry where all tapestry add ons can get a
mention with the ability to have the community rate and give feedback. Let
the user decide whether the library is ok by croudsourcing feedback.