Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by mo...@gmail.com on 2009/07/19 18:42:35 UTC

how do we updgrade cassandra

I did a git pull in the cassandra dir and ran ant hoping things would run
but cassandra does nt run

DEBUG - insert
ERROR - Internal error processing insert
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.cassandra.service.ThriftValidation.validateColumnPath(ThriftValidation.java:61)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraServer.insert(CassandraServer.java:262)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$Processor$insert.process(Cassandra.java:927)
        at
org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$Processor.process(Cassandra.java:796)
        at
org.apache.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(TThreadPoolServer.java:252)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

is there a specific way to upgrade cassandra ie dump the db and restore?

thanks

Re: how do we updgrade cassandra

Posted by Michael Greene <mi...@gmail.com>.
There's 'snapshot' functionality coming in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-279
  slated for 0.4, but to my knowledge no toolIng in the works for
later using that data.  It should be as simple as tar'ing and
restoring somewhere else after that.

Michael

Posted by Josh <jo...@schulzone.org>.

Posted by Michael Greene <mi...@gmail.com>.
If you run 'ant clean' before running ant or Cassandra, it will ensure
that no old artifacts are still around from the code that could be
causing problems.

To dump the db, just delete the db directories.  There should be