Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Foster, Stephen (ASPIRE)" <st...@hmrcaspire.com> on 2006/11/28 17:33:31 UTC

[users@httpd] spawned processes using new config files.

Hi all,

I have situation where i have Apache 2.0.55 configured using the worker process model and this is running using a particular configuration file.
Prior to an outage i want to deliver a new config file to the server in readiness for a server restart during my outage window.
my question though is if we are using a process model that spawns new processes do these spawned processes read the new config file from disk or do they read it from the parent processes memory , if they read from memory then i am cool because i can update the config prior to the outage and then just restart to read it in, otherwise if it reads from disk i am going to have to deliver during the outage.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Steve

Steve Foster | Capgemini | Telford
Shared Technology Services
T. +44 (0) 1952 296664 | www.capgemini.com
Internal: 46664

Join the Collaborative Business Experience

Re: [users@httpd] spawned processes using new config files.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 11/28/06, Foster, Stephen (ASPIRE) <st...@hmrcaspire.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have situation where i have Apache 2.0.55 configured using the worker process model and this is running using a particular configuration file.
> Prior to an outage i want to deliver a new config file to the server in readiness for a server restart during my outage window.
> my question though is if we are using a process model that spawns new processes do these spawned processes read the new config file from disk or do they read it from the parent processes memory , if they read from memory then i am cool because i can update the config prior to the outage and then just restart to read it in, otherwise if it reads from disk i am going to have to deliver during the outage.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.

Config file on disk is not reread during normal operations.  Config
info for new child processes is inherited from the parent.

Joshua.