Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Mike Sexter <ms...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/16 03:44:07 UTC

Where did the attachment go?

I'm new to Axis, web services, etc. So hopefully my problem has a simple
solution.

I'm using Axis 1.1 final under a stand-alone Tomcat 4.1.27 on Windows XP and
doing research into returning images from web services. My first step was to
write a simple client and service to see if I could send a gif file back as
an attachment. But unfortunately the attachment never made it. To start
isolating the problem I wrote a client that created a SOAP message, attached
a text file and called a web service that simply verifies that the
attachment arrived safely and then returns. Well the attachment does make it
from the client to the service successfully but disappears upon return. As
does any attachment I create and add on the service side.

My setup couldn't be simpler, and maybe that's the problem. My client is a
stand alone java class I run from the command line. My service is simple
enough that I deploy it simply by converting the java file into a .jws file
and putting it in the axis directory.

As indicated by the fact that the service gets the message I intended it to,
does the processing I want and successfully returns the message, it seems
that I'm doing everything correctly. Perhaps there's more sophisticated
configuration necessary to deal with the existence of the attachment.
Perhaps on the stand alone java client side.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage.
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es