Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2012/04/23 18:24:57 UTC

[VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Hi,
I'd like to release version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating of Apache Syncope.

Apache Syncope is an Open Source system for managing digital identities
in enterprise environments, implemented in JEE technology.

We solved 50 issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313120&version=12320044
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313120&version=12320044>

There are currently no issues left in JIRA for 1.0.0-incubating.

Staging Repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachesyncope-083/

SCM Tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/syncope/tags/syncope-1.0.0-RC1-incubating/

ADDITIONAL_INFORMATION

 [ ] +1
 [ ] +0
 [ ] -1

The vote is open for 72 hours.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Posted by Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro <ma...@tirasa.net>.
+1

Marco

--

Dott. Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro
Tel. +39 3939065570

http://people.apache.org/~mdisabatino

Re: [VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Posted by Nicola Scendoni <sc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Nicola

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
+1.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Posted by Fabio Martelli <fa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Massimiliano Perrone <ma...@tirasa.net>.
Il 23/04/2012 18:25, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to release version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating of Apache Syncope.
>>
>> Apache Syncope is an Open Source system for managing digital identities
>> in enterprise environments, implemented in JEE technology.
>>
>> We solved 50 issues:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313120&version=12320044
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313120&version=12320044>
>>
>> There are currently no issues left in JIRA for 1.0.0-incubating.
>>
>> Staging Repository:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachesyncope-083/
>>
>> SCM Tag:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/syncope/tags/syncope-1.0.0-RC1-incubating/
>>
>> ADDITIONAL_INFORMATION
>>
>>   [ ] +1
>>   [ ] +0
>>   [ ] -1
>>
>> The vote is open for 72 hours.
> +1

+1

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
> I'd like to release version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating of Apache Syncope.
>
> Apache Syncope is an Open Source system for managing digital identities
> in enterprise environments, implemented in JEE technology.
>
> We solved 50 issues:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313120&version=12320044
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12313120&version=12320044>
>
> There are currently no issues left in JIRA for 1.0.0-incubating.
>
> Staging Repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachesyncope-083/
>
> SCM Tag:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/syncope/tags/syncope-1.0.0-RC1-incubating/
>
> ADDITIONAL_INFORMATION
>
>  [ ] +1
>  [ ] +0
>  [ ] -1
>
> The vote is open for 72 hours.

+1

What's required to vote +1 a release at The ASF

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

I see many people voting +1 on the release vote opened lately. I'd like
to stress out that voting +1 is not like you just think that, Yeah, It's
Cool(tm) to have a new release, but it requires that you have checked a
few things.

Please just spend 5 minutes reading
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release, and you'll
see that your vote comes with some responsability.

Namely, " Before voting +1 PMC members are required to download the
signed source code package, compile it as provided, and test the
resulting executable on their own platform, along with also verifying
that the package contains the required contents
<http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain>."

I know that most of the people voting are not part of a non existing
Syncope PMC, but as soon as the project will be promoted to TLP, then a
Syncope PMC will be created, gathering most of the people currently part
of the project. *YOU* are in charge, this is *YOUR* project, so don't
expect that the release Manager will do all the job and you can blindly
trust him. What I mean is that anyone can make a mistake, and if no one
checks anything, it's likely that this mistake will be unnoticed.

Many thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Posted by Dino Anzellotti <di...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 4/25/12 5:22 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
>>> Even if fixing current release lacks would be easy, I'd suggest you
>>> anyway to roll an RC2 to have a better release process.
>> Here, I would disagree : if you don't provide a RC1 to download,
>> people will wonder where the hell is RC1...
>> IMHO, when the release is not voted, or withdrawn, then we should keep
>> the same number for the next attempt.
> If you don't have objections, I will:
>
> 1. wait for 72 hours to pass (tomorrow, 18;24 CET), then send a summary
> e-mail with all votes and the reason why this RC1 release attempt did
> not succeed
> 2. remove SVN tag, delete staging repository
> 3. draft a release page on our website (inspired from links provided by
> Emmanuel)
> 4. close SYNCOPE-66 (still to verify if source archives gets MD5 / SHA1
> / ASC)
> 5. start again the release process for RC1
>
> WDYT?
Then don't wait 72 hours if you are going to doom RC1 :) Just do it
right away !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 25/04/2012 14:10, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 4/25/12 1:17 PM, Simone Tripodi a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am a little confused on how you intend to manage the RC: let's say
>> development is X.Y, I would have *tagged* the X.Y-RCn for the n-th
>> candidate to vote the X.Y *release*, while I surprisingly see
>> X.Y-RCn  as release... do you intend follow a cycle of X.Y-RCs, and
>> then a  final X.Y-GA?
> RC is a release (candidate :). I think it's named 'release' to follow
> the ASF naming of what is a 'release' : a voted source tarball.
> To me, 1.0.0-RC1 is a much a release a 1.0.0.

Hum, effectively I never thought that, since RC stands for "release
candidate", the act of releasing a release candidate can be quite
cumbersome... :-)

Anyway, we discussed this [1] [2], and I understood that an acceptable
scheme is

X.Y.Z-M1-incubating - ... X.Y.Z-Mn-incubating

followed by

X.Y.Z-RC1-incubating - ... - X.Y.Z-RCm-incubating

followed by

X.Y.Z-incubating

where the first two phases (milestones and release candidates) are
potentially optional.

>> Anyway, my current position is +0 (it could become +1 while addressed
>> the following concerns) and here are my statements:
>>
>>   * build is not portable, or at least some guidelines would help to
>> address potential issues - once checked out the tag and launched the
>> install goal
>>
>> +----+
>> svn co
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/syncope/tags/syncope-1.0.0-RC1-incubating/
>> \
>>      cd syncope-1.0.0-RC1-incubating/ \
>>      mvn install
>> +----+
>>
>> I got the following error:
>> [...]
> Hmmm... I did that, but got a success... I also doomed my maven repo
> before doing a mvn clean install.
> [...]

This happened to me as well sometimes: this ldapbp library occasionally
disappears from central Maven repo: right now is available [3]. Anyway
this dependency is pushed by the current ConnId LDAP connector bundle
but is not actually needed as dependency since it is part of the bundle
itself: I will make a new release there, possibly replacing [1] with
more modern - but substantially same - [4].

>>   * distribution package should contain RELEASE-NOTES (copied fom
>> Jira is enough)
> That's not required, but it's useful.

Agree: about writing down a correct and complete release process,
Emmanuel provided some very interesting links from BVal and DeltaSpike;
I think it's good - and I can take care of this - for us as well to
provide something similar, starting from the provided links.

>> Even if fixing current release lacks would be easy, I'd suggest you
>> anyway to roll an RC2 to have a better release process.
> Here, I would disagree : if you don't provide a RC1 to download,
> people will wonder where the hell is RC1...
> IMHO, when the release is not voted, or withdrawn, then we should keep
> the same number for the next attempt.

If you don't have objections, I will:

1. wait for 72 hours to pass (tomorrow, 18;24 CET), then send a summary
e-mail with all votes and the reason why this RC1 release attempt did
not succeed
2. remove SVN tag, delete staging repository
3. draft a release page on our website (inspired from links provided by
Emmanuel)
4. close SYNCOPE-66 (still to verify if source archives gets MD5 / SHA1
/ ASC)
5. start again the release process for RC1

WDYT?

Regards.

[1]
http://syncope-dev.1063484.n5.nabble.com/Version-Numbering-Scheme-td5551287.html

[2]
http://syncope-dev.1063484.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Releasing-1-0-0-RC1-incubating-td5632136.html
[3] http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sun/ldapbp/1.0/
[4]
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/glassfish/main/external/ldapbp-repackaged/

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
> Here, I would disagree : if you don't provide a RC1 to download, people will
> wonder where the hell is RC1...
> IMHO, when the release is not voted, or withdrawn, then we should keep the
> same number for the next attempt.

ah well, apologize, at the time of writing I still had in mind the way
of interpreting RCs we have at Commons
<http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases> - that is NOT the
same reflected here.

That is why I asked at the begin of my previous message how we want to
manage RCs here at Syncope - I hope to have understood what RC is
after some years at ASF :D

best,
-Simo

Re: [VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 4/25/12 1:17 PM, Simone Tripodi a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I am a little confused on how you intend to manage the RC: let's say
> development is X.Y, I would have *tagged* the X.Y-RCn for the n-th
> candidate to vote the X.Y *release*, while I surprisingly see X.Y-RCn
> as release... do you intend follow a cycle of X.Y-RCs, and then a
> final X.Y-GA?
RC is a release (candidate :). I think it's named 'release' to follow
the ASF naming of what is a 'release' : a voted source tarball.
To me, 1.0.0-RC1 is a much a release a 1.0.0.

> Anyway, my current position is +0 (it could become +1 while addressed
> the following concerns) and here are my statements:
>
>   * build is not portable, or at least some guidelines would help to
> address potential issues - once checked out the tag and launched the
> install goal
>
> +----+
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/syncope/tags/syncope-1.0.0-RC1-incubating/
> \
>      cd syncope-1.0.0-RC1-incubating/ \
>      mvn install
> +----+
>
> I got the following error:
>
> +----+
> [INFO] Reactor Summary:
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Apache Syncope .................................... SUCCESS [26.686s]
> [INFO] Apache Syncope Build Tools ........................ SUCCESS [20.585s]
> [INFO] Apache Syncope Client ............................. SUCCESS [11.328s]
> [INFO] Apache Syncope Core ............................... FAILURE [20.838s]
> [INFO] Apache Syncope Console ............................ SKIPPED
> [INFO] Apache Syncope Root ............................... SKIPPED
> [INFO] BUILD FAILURE

Hmmm... I did that, but got a success... I also doomed my maven repo
before doing a mvn clean install.

$ mvn clean install
[INFO]
[INFO] Reactor Summary:
[INFO]
[INFO] Apache Syncope .................................... SUCCESS
[3:54.242s]
[INFO] Apache Syncope Build Tools ........................ SUCCESS
[1:18.744s]
[INFO] Apache Syncope Client ............................. SUCCESS [20.857s]
[INFO] Apache Syncope Core ............................... SUCCESS
[6:50.362s]
[INFO] Apache Syncope Console ............................ SUCCESS [23.694s]
[INFO] Apache Syncope Root ............................... SUCCESS [0.005s]
[INFO]
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESS
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 12:50.246s
[INFO] Finished at: Wed Apr 25 14:05:03 CEST 2012
[INFO] Final Memory: 48M/125M
[INFO]

$ mvn --version
Apache Maven 3.0.4 (r1232337; 2012-01-17 09:44:56+0100)
Maven home: /opt/maven-3.0.4
Java version: 1.6.0_31, vendor: Apple Inc.
Java home: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman
OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.7.3", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

[...]

[INFO] Total time: 1:31.076s
[INFO] Finished at: Wed Apr 25 12:33:02 CEST 2012
[INFO] Final Memory: 32M/2039M
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project syncope-core: Could not
resolve dependencies for project
org.apache.syncope:syncope-core:war:1.0.0-RC1-incubating: Could not
find artifact com.sun.jndi.ldap:ldapbp:jar:1.0 in activiti
(http://maven.alfresco.com/nexus/content/repositories/activiti) ->
[Help 1]
+----+

 * distributions packages are missing, as Emmanuel already
exhaustively addressed;

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Denis <de...@intesys.it>.
 +1

Posted by Bob Lannoy <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
The BVal project has added this very cool page on their web site :
http://bval.apache.org/release-process.html

Interesting description of the release process.

Another link about what has to be done in order to vote +1 on a release :
http://markmail.org/thread/c7u7icwjaqgr26an#query:+page:1+mid:c7u7icwjaqgr26an+state:results

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 4/24/12 1:27 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> On 24/04/2012 12:55, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:

>>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>> would it be enough to:
>>>
>>> 1. svn export of the release tag
>>> 2. tar zcvf
>>> 3. generate needed signatures (asc, md5, sha1, ...)
>>> 4. put these files somewhere (where?)
>>
>> What we usually do is that we have a distribution sub-module that
>> gather everything (sources, etc), and this is what we distribute on
>> the web site (see
>> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/2.0/downloads.html for instance,
>> the binaries are provided for convenience, what is important is the
>> last package,
>> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/2.0/download/download-sources.html)
>
> Unfortunately the provided link does not seem to be working (also
> mirror change does not): when going directly to
> http://www.apache.org/dist/directory/apacheds/stable/2.0/2.0.0-M6/, I
> cannot find any sources package.
> The only one I was able to find by browsing that repo is
> http://www.apache.org/dist/directory/apacheds/unstable/1.5/1.5.7/apacheds-sources-1.5.7.zip.
Holly sh*t ! We have voted bad releases since M2 :/ Rahhhh...

or http://mina.apache.org/downloads.html

>> In the long run, that would help you by avoiding those manual steps.
>>
>> In any case, the packages have to be stored in
>> /www/www.apache.org/dist/incubator/syncope (see other incubator
>> projects). You will have to copy them by hand (atm).
>>
>> You can copy the sources tarballs on your public apache directory
>> (people.apache.org, public.html directory), and provide the link for
>> the vote.
>
> Fine: so first I will store these files in
> http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/ for the vote.
http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/public.html, otherwise we won't be
able to get them.

> Once (and if) the vote has passed, someone will move such files to
> /www/www.apache.org/dist/incubator/syncope.
Someone = the RM.

>>> NOTICE file is included, alongside with LICENSE, in all artifacts
>>> (see SYNCOPE-3).
>> Yes, I saw. I was wondering if we should not provide them at the top
>> level, instead of having them in META_INF
>
> Apache parent POM 10 puts such files under META-INF, because of
>
> <plugin>
> <artifactId>maven-remote-resources-plugin</artifactId>
> <executions>
> <execution>
> <goals>
> <goal>process</goal>
> </goals>
> <configuration>
> <resourceBundles>
> <resourceBundle>org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle:1.4</resourceBundle>
>
> </resourceBundles>
> </configuration>
> </execution>
> </executions>
> </plugin>

ok, not a big deal. As I said, it's probably just me. Maybe the
distrbution packages, containing the sources, should have the NOTICES
and LICENSE files at the top level.

>>> About non ASL-2.0 dependencies, we already went through the process
>>> of "reducing to ASL 2.0" as much as possible (the biggest move was
>>> from Hibernate to OpenJPA), so I don't think there is room for more
>>> replacement.
>> This is not an issue. Every ASL 2.0 compatible licenses are fine (ie,
>> MPL, CDDL, BSD, EPL,...) as soon as you mention their origin. If you
>> use a third party software which is released under a ASL 2.0 license,
>> then adding a mention in the NOTICE that you are using "Blah
>> Software, released under an ASL 2.0 License" just helps the potential
>> users, who won't have to dig the web for the third part license.
>>>
>>> Anyway, it seems that SYNCOPE-2 should be re-opened, since NOTICE
>>> file was not filled - as you report above: I'll do this right away.
>> Sorry that I waited for the release to be done to check the result.
>> As I said, I was off for the week-end, otherwise I would have gave a
>> hand...

>>> Eh eh eh, I felt like it was too much easy to jump to the first
>>> incubating release... ;-)
>> Actually, you did a good job. I'm pretty sure that beside the few
>> remaining points, the release is correct.
>>
>> In any case, be sure to read carefully
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html. If you have any question,
>> feel free to ask.
>
> A last question: what about the current vote / svn tag / staging
> repository? What's the best practice in such cases?
> I mean, should we simply remove svn tag, drop staging repository, fix
> these release issues and then start from scratch with a new RC1 or
> should we instead go with RC2?
It's up to you. But keeping a RC1 make people think that a release has
been issued and voted. I'd rather kill -9 RC1 and start again.

In any case, even if you think you are wasting your time, you are
investing in the long term.

And never forget that whatever you do, at some point, you'll miss
something if the process is not fully automated. Like missing to copy
the sources package on dist, like what we did on Directory :)

Many thanks for your patience !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
> [...]

>> file was not filled - as you report above: I'll do this right away.
> Sorry that I waited for the release to be done to check the result. As
> I said, I was off for the week-end, otherwise I would have gave a hand...
>>
>>> Yes, yes, I know, I'm a PITA...
>>
>> Eh eh eh, I felt like it was too much easy to jump to the first
>> incubating release... ;-)
> Actually, you did a good job. I'm pretty sure that beside the few
> remaining points, the release is correct.
>
> In any case, be sure to read carefully
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html. If you have any question, feel
> free to ask.

A last question: what about the current vote / svn tag / staging
repository? What's the best practice in such cases?
I mean, should we simply remove svn tag, drop staging repository, fix
these release issues and then start from scratch with a new RC1 or

Thanks.
Regards.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

MPL, CDDL, BSD, EPL,...) as soon as you mention their origin. If you use
a third party software which is released under a ASL 2.0 license, then
adding a mention in the NOTICE that you are using "Blah Software,
released under an ASL 2.0 License" just helps the potential users, who
won't have to dig the web for the third part license.

> Anyway, it seems that SYNCOPE-2 should be re-opened, since NOTICE file
> was not filled - as you report above: I'll do this right away.
Sorry that I waited for the release to be done to check the result. As I
said, I was off for the week-end, otherwise I would have gave a hand...

>> Yes, yes, I know, I'm a PITA...
>
> Eh eh eh, I felt like it was too much easy to jump to the first
> incubating release... ;-)
Actually, you did a good job. I'm pretty sure that beside the few
remaining points, the release is correct.

Hope it helps !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Syncope version 1.0.0-RC1-incubating

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachesyncope-083/, but